Can you call cow elk?

MinnesotaHunter

So this is the first time I have specifically hunted cow elk. Every previous time was for OTC bulls. I am trying to hang a tag on my first elk, so I thought a cow tag in a less pressured area would be my best option to get it done. The question I have is: can anyone share some calling techniques that have been successful to call in cows? I will be hunting them the second week in September, in north-central WY.

Thanks

Ross

absolutely! I've called them with aggressive bugles bringing in herd bulls and I've called them in with soft cow calls too. Not sure exactly how to speak to them specifically as my cow call ins are random but I've done it. Last year was the first time I called a couple cows with aggressive bugles actually pulling them away from the herd bull they were with. That gave me something to chew on for this year for sure.

You might post this question on elk101.com forum. You might get a response from Corey Jacobsen. If anyone can teach you about calling it's that guy.

While cow calling and bugling - I've had more cows blow my cover than my scent! (maybe not totally true though it is a close tie... :) )Haha! Calling away then look to my right or left and presto, there is a darn cow starring at me 20 feet away. Or a cow will come in when I am trying to get the bull. The bull is moving towards me, I'm getting revved up then sure as shnitz - a cow or two are moving in as well. Praying I can sling an arrow before the cows blows me out. Most often they do. I think the bull watches them as if they are his darn bodyguards! :)

At the least, simple cow calls put the cow(s) at ease and your able to move in closer. Best to your hunt! Look forward to your pics and story! :)

Haven't had much luck calling them on my cell phone:D Sorry, couldn't resist.

We have called them and they have ending up right on us without a peep from them. Good luck to you on your hunt.

Haven't had much luck calling them on my cell phone:D Sorry, couldn't resist.

We have called them and they have ending up right on us without a peep from them. Good luck to you on your hunt.

Last edited:
Lots of luck calling them in. I tend to try and sound like a lost cow or calf from time to time and it seems to work great. First elk I called in for a friend was a and she kept answering back. I have had more luck calling in cows than bulls, but I don't bugle much.

Lots of luck calling them in. I tend to try and sound like a lost cow or calf from time to time and it seems to work great. First elk I called in for a friend was a and she kept answering back. I have had more luck calling in cows than bulls, but I don't bugle much.

Beat me to it. Lost calf sounds. Calf in distress sounds. You are trying to trip her maternal instinct. If she thinks some little calf is stuck in a fence or has a coyote terrorizing it, she will run in and try and stomp that coyote into a rug. Doesn't matter that it isn't her own calf. She is a mom.

I called 8 cows in while coyote hunting using a wounded rabbit call....it just confirmed how bad a coyote hunter I am. Otherwise I 'd suggest firing up a tractor...seems to chum them in.

Seems collectively, we are stating YES calling in cow elk is a reasonable expectation. :) Best to ya and we look forward to your hunt story and pics :)

Thanks for the feedback guys. As I mentioned I don't have a lot of experience chasing elk, the first three times I hunted them were all just kind of flying blind. I have never hunted alongside an experienced elk hunter, so I was never sure if I was doing the right things. I have walked around a lot in elk country, but haven't had many encounters. When I have been able to get the bulls to respond to calling it has seemed like the cows stayed back trying to pull the bull back away from me. I am going to order Elknut's playbook, it seems like it will be a really good resource. I feel like this year I will be much better prepared, with 4 more years of hunting out west (not for elk, but still up in elk country), and combined with the theoretical knowledge I have picked up from you guys; I am hoping this will be the year.

Thanks again

I am fired up.

Using the ol' Jim Horn "early season calling" techniques seems to work pretty well for cows as well as bulls. Basically make it sound like there are 4 or 5 cows all talking at the same time. Do this for a few minutes take a break, do it again, repeat, repeat. Change locations if nothing shows up. If you can keep the caller a couple hundred yards away from the shooter, with a good vantage point this works best. I've had countless cows show up using this technique. Keep in mind the cows rarely are going to do any calling back to you. They will just show up silent, listen for breaking branches and twigs.

I am hopeing to call in a cow this September.I have called one in trying for a bull in Colorado muzzy season.Sceerey ACE-1 done the trick that time.

As stated,soft calls,calf calls/chirps,and where are you?, simple cow calls work great.
I carry several to mix it up and find what's working.
I rarely use a bugle anymore.
And cow calls usually stop most elk for a shot. Bucks too...........

Last edited:
I always carry multiple cow calls and a bugle tube. I use them depending on the situation. I have called while still hunting and called while on post. I was posted in a small meadow a few years ago and heard a hoof hit a dead fall, one minute later a herd of @40 elk filled that meadow. Remember to put some emotion and feeling into your calls, don't just chirp here and chirp there. Try to sound like more than one elk. If you bump one call quickly, you may get one to stop. To me, calling adds an extra level of fun to the hunt.

Good luck

So, since I started this, I will weigh in with some observations.

The last two seasons I hunted north central WY for cows, and ended up killing one last year with a rifle.

The biggest issue I ran into, was that when bow hunting during the beginning/middle of the rut, the bulls were so aggressive that they were constantly getting in between me and the cows. The closest we came with a bow was shadowing the heard back into cover and trying to pick off a cow that was on the periphery of the herd. I guess that is the fun of hunting these areas that don't get a lot of pressure, the elk definately respond to calls, and the bulls come charging in. In those circumstances I was not able to call in a cow, but I do think trying it before or after the rut would work well, and we had a awesome time in the process.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caleb_u
Back