Can anyone explain the following phenomenon?

smalls

So you have a bottle of water, unopened, sitting in your garage. The temperature of your garage is below zero (so well below freezing). The water inside the bottle is still in a liquid state, yet unfrozen UNTIL you grab the bottle and disturb the water. Shaking the bottle causes the water to freeze almost immediately; opening the bottle seems to do the same thing.

Can anyone explain this?

Its called supercooling. If the water is pure enough and undisturbed, it will not form crystals. Water molecules need something to latch onto in order to form crystals. When you disturb the water by shaking it, it causes imperfections in the water, which allows the molecules to crystalize, thus forming ice. The same thing will happen if you change the pressure, which is what happens when you open it.

If you are in a hotel room with warm beer. You put a beer in the ice bucket and spin it with your finger it for 30 seconds in the ice, it is ice cold.............................same concept????????????????

If you are in a hotel room with warm beer. You put a beer in the ice bucket and spin it with your finger it for 30 seconds in the ice, it is ice cold.............................same concept????????????????

Really?! If I'd only known this 15 years ago....

does that seriously work? do you have to be in a hotel room?

Its called supercooling. If the water is pure enough and undisturbed, it will not form crystals. Water molecules need something to latch onto in order to form crystals. When you disturb the water by shaking it, it causes imperfections in the water, which allows the molecules to crystalize, thus forming ice. The same thing will happen if you change the pressure, which is what happens when you open it.

I knew someone would know! Thanks.

Why would I be in a hotel room with warm beer? Don't all hookers bring cold beer or am I just lucky?

Hmm all the hookers I ever met, didn't have any beer. They can't supply all the party favors.

And thanks to the person that answered this because I have always wondered the same thing. I always put my Gatorades in the freezer and pull them out before they are frozen solid. I can shake them up like crazy and they are fine, but the second I pop the cap they turn to slush.

What if you spin the hooker in the bathtub? Does she get cleaner or just freeze up?

...don't like em' salty......

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back