Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Can a CO resident....

Bigjay73

.......apply as a non resident? Not sure if I could justify spending $2300 on a cow moose tag, but the draw odds are insanely better if you enter as an NR. Just a thought.

I feel like you’d have explaining to do if you applied for NR moose and R deer, elk, etc in the same year.

Doesn’t really answer your question, but IMO hunting privileges are too important to be playing FAFO games.

*edited to add, I assume false oath is false oath, regardless of which direction you do it.

Last edited:
Not something I would do without it being 100% legal, probably not something I would do anyways, was just a shower thought. If anything ot would probably be against regs due to tag allotments being set as R/NR. I could see CPW not wanting residents to use the NR draw as a "special" draw

Are the odds really better? Sheep for example, NR get ~10% of the tags (33 vs 292) and there is half as many NR applying (~12k) as residents (22k). There may be a few exceptions, but odds are significantly lower for a NR than resident.

Moose is worse, and goats are similar to sheep.

I do know what you're saying. I wish we could apply for a NR Kodiak bear tag where odds are 100%, vs 1-3% as a resident.

Are the odds really better? Sheep for example, NR get ~10% of the tags (33 vs 292) and there is half as many NR applying (~12k) as residents (22k). There may be a few exceptions, but odds are significantly lower for a NR than resident.

Moose is worse, and goats are similar to sheep.

I do know what you're saying. I wish we could apply for a NR Kodiak bear tag where odds are 100%, vs 1-3% as a resident.
Cow moose are way better odds. The unit I'm looking at is 11% for an R, 56% for an NR

Last edited:
Cow moose are way better odds. The unit I'm looking at is 11% for an R, 56% for an NR
Oh, gotcha. I'm sure ewe tags are easier to get as well. You can come up to AK and hunt one from the road for the price of airfare and a rental vehicle, or drive up. Odds are lower than a fly-out, but still better than never drawing a tag in CO. :D

I saw a few bull tags similar. Unit 7 bull has double the odds for nonresident over residents. Maybe I'll have to spend a few years living across the border to to draw moose haha

Oh, gotcha. I'm sure ewe tags are easier to get as well. You can come up to AK and hunt one from the road for the price of airfare and a rental vehicle, or drive up. Odds are lower than a fly-out, but still better than never drawing a tag in CO. :D
Can you rifle hunt or just archery?

That's not really any different than a NR lying and applying as a R for better odds...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tzog
Back