Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Camping

Do you run a generator? Also any tips for finding a location from desktop scouting?

No generator. Just hook up a deep cycle battery. I only use electric to run the heater fan if needed. Also havent stayed more than 3 nights. As far as finding a spot I use Google earth to find a few. Usually have to check more than one as they wont be what I thought for level or ease of access.

Does anyone camp in a camper for an antelope hunt? I only see forums talking about tent camping. I'm strictly talking about on blm or a designated campground not on private. Just wondering if hauling a camper 600 plus miles is a waste of fuel and worry of something else that could go wrong. It would be nice to have the comforts of home and being out of bad weather vs a tent

Certainly no reason you couldn't bring the camper as long as you have a place to set it up. I think more people talk about tents for antelope hunting because the weather is *usually* pretty nice for tent camping between August and October when the seasons are open.

I've been tossing around the idea of buying a Canvas Cutter bedroll and throwing it on my camp cot this year for antelope hunting. I figure I could stay really mobile with that set up, and just toss it out and sleep where ever I end up at the end of the day. Definitely not all the comforts of a camper, but staying mobile would be nice to look over as many goats as possible

My son has one he has used during the archery only antelope season in Montana. After driving three hundred miles to his chosen hunting area, he rolled it out on a pad in the open bed of his pickup and woke up in the morning to antelope grazing closeby across the fence from his camping / parking spot. He got up, grabbed his bow and went hunting. After an early morning stalk, he arrowed a Pope & Young qualifying buck. Returning to his makeshift truck-camp, he rolled up his bedroll and headed for home, feeling proud and blessed at his hunting success, but a little disappointed it was over early the first morning. Anyhow, he was comfortable in the canvas bedroll under the stars.

I've been tossing around the idea of buying a Canvas Cutter bedroll and throwing it on my camp cot this year for antelope hunting. I figure I could stay really mobile with that set up, and just toss it out and sleep where ever I end up at the end of the day. Definitely not all the comforts of a camper, but staying mobile would be nice to look over as many goats as possible

I've been looking at those as well. I'm just not sold on any advantage they would have over a small tent for truck camping, and they're too heavy for any kind of backpack hunting. They sure look warm/comfy though.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back