Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Camp Meals

Just pulled a 23-lb turkey out of the oven. For September archery elk hunts here, I always cook a turkey at home beforehand, then into zip-lock bags. Gets heated up with mash potatoes and gravy for some mid-day meals back in camp (plus a couple sides). Never been told to stop ... ;)

I always make big batches of chicken, sausage and oyster gumbo and chili before the season and can it so I have some on hand for when I get back to camp after a hard day of hunting. Oatmeal for breakfast.

We make a breakfast casserole in the crockpot. Turn it on when you go to bed and it is ready when you wake up.

While I would not call it a meal, Pop Tarts and beef jerky are yummy :)

Hostess chocolate mini donuts and gas station coffee, realistically the backbone of all hunts.

I will second the idea of cooking pulled pork or a large quantity of meat that can be reheated through the week. These days I'm usually happy with mountain house purely based on space savings on gear vs dragging a grill and dutch oven.

Just pulled a 23-lb turkey out of the oven. For September archery elk hunts here, I always cook a turkey at home beforehand, then into zip-lock bags. Gets heated up with mash potatoes and gravy for some mid-day meals back in camp (plus a couple sides). Never been told to stop ... ;)

That's funny, I just smoked 12 turkey legs for my elk trip. Takes a lot longer to smoke them rather than the oven, but man are they delicious.

One year we had a guy bring MRE's....theyre not as terrible as they sound.

I always make big batches of chicken, sausage and oyster gumbo and chili before the season and can it so I have some on hand for when I get back to camp after a hard day of hunting. Oatmeal for breakfast.

I'll pass on the oysters. I can picture me about to blow my drawers with a monster screaming an afraid to go after him because of the impending doom. That and oysters are an aphrodisiac. The guys I hunt with don't need anything else to get em going.

Hard to beat fresh elk tenderloin seasoned and wrapped in bacon, a little bacon grease ..... cast iron, hot fire - plated rare!
Assuming you have a successful hunt that is.

Seems like it is always fifteen different types of chili or bean soup if that doesn't work out.

My 2015 Elk Camp Menu

Dinner

1M Chili
1T Hamburgers & Fries
1W Bacon, Cheese & burger roll-ups with Rice a Roni
1TH Tacos
1F BQ Ribs with baked potatoes and corn
1S Ham with potatoes and green beans
1Sun Fried Chicken & Fries
2M Spaghetti and garlic bread
2T Ribeye Steaks with Fries or baked potato?
2W Pork Chops and Sweet Potatoes
2TH Slum Guey & Rolls
2F Hamburgers & Fries

Breakfast

Pancakes and Sausage
Biscuits and gravy and Hash Browns
Scrambled eggs with ham and potatoes
Eggs, Bacon and hash browns
French toast and sausage

Kevin

Every time I make elk chili,posole,stew,or pasta sauce I put half in ziplocks and they go in the freezer.
That and frozen water in jugs is my cooler ice.I take a bag of what I want out the night before and it's thawed and ready to heat for dinner. Each bag will last several meals if I'm only feeding me. I come home with food every time,particularly if meals included fresh elk as a bonus......

Oatmeal, protein powder, and dried cranberries are my breakfast staple whether I'm hunting out of a camper or a tent. It keeps the fire burning all day.

Venison stew with lots of potatoes, carrots, etc for dinner. Lunches are venison sandwiches. Breakfast is cold cereal... no time messing around heating water in the AM.

I make red and green chili, various stews, my wife makes sauce and meatballs and sweet and sour meatballs and the last trip I made pesole. It all gets frozen flat in gallon zip lock bags. I always take potatoes and onions. I have a bunch of different seasonings that I bring with me as well. Breakfast is usually poptarts or donuts or some sort of quick pastry and coffee...lots of coffee. Sometimes I will do breakfast burritos and wrap them in foil and warm them up on the defroster in the truck. Lunch is usually some sort of lunch meat and cheese wrapped in a tortilla or spam singles.

I'm another for making meals in advance and freezing them in quantity sufficient for however many are in camp. Elk meat is used for red meat. Chili, spaghetti, lasagna, stew and stir fried chicken usually make it to camp every year. I also bring tenderloin and pork chops for the first couple nights. I also use milk jugs for my ice and take a package out the night before to thaw for dinner. I can last about 9 days before I have to go to town and resupply. I also like to make fruit pies in the dutch oven peach, apple and boysenberry. Usually bring Marie Calendar's, but this year I'm bringing homemade canned filling and rolling out the dough in camp. I eat eggs every morning for breakfast. Scrambled with diced ham and hash browns, scrambled with sausage crumbles and hash browns or homemade chorizo with potatoes. Lunch is always smashwiches, turkey and monterey jack and PBJ.

I like to cook Rice a Roni Spanish Rice with 1lb of burger. Good hearty meal.

Make sure you have plenty of TP with you on the trail the next day though!

This is great! Nice work guys! We had our prehunt/get everything organized/meal meeting. I'm pumped!, were doin burgers and brats, spaghetti,chilli, stew for suppers, we really like doin breakfast sandwiches for breakfasts, also we'll do french toast, and granola bars. It's crazy how much we pack in! But ten days gotta have it! I can't wait!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back