Yeti GOBOX Collection

Camp coffee pot

guys, this is hands down the best and easiest coffee maker i have ever found. (aeropress) my wife and i came across this during a 5 week camping trip in alaska. when we got home, no kidding, we put our old coffee maker up and have been using this for the last two years. for backpacking i use my jetboil for the water, add it to the press, and have great coffee in less than two minutes start to finish. no grounds, light weight, virtually no clean up. you can usually find them on amazon complete for around $25. and no i dont sell these. http://aerobie.com/products/aeropress.htm

The wife and I were talking about my never ending search for the best cup of joe possible in the back country last night and our middle daughter chimes in'',Dad you should try my Tea ball''. What's a Tea ball you ask? I know I did.
A Tea ball, turns out to be a little stainless steel ball [about the size of a ping pong ball] with tiny holes in it that has a small chain attached.The ball is in two halves that screw together.Just unscrew put your grind in,close and suspend in a cup of hot water with the chain.
So after 3 tries, to get the ratio of water to coffee correct I can make a cup of coffee that is EXACTLY the same as the coffee I drink every morning out of my Bunn drip maker.
As a side note the Tea ball weighs about 1/2 oz and fits inside my kit with the Jet Boil.
This is probably one of those things that everyone but me was aware of but I am stoked. I've choked down more crappy coffee than I care to remember,hoping those days are behind me.

John, don't turn up your nose at using those el-cheapo coffee filters from the $ store. We have used them for years in camp with our coffee pots.

While there is something special about a coffee pot and enjoying that brew on a cold camp morning I have switched to instant for weight and ease. I did find a insulated stainless bottle that holds 17 ounces and will keep hot water very hot for 8+ hours in freezing temps. It will be filled with boiling water before my hike to high ground for morning coffee as I scope ridges, can't wait.

CCC

That and too much water? Just wondering out loud? Regular grind vs drip grind? Give it a dash of cold water at the end and will settle the grounds to the bottom as will egg shells (if you are in camp and not sitting on some rock ledge at sun-up with a goat in your sights).

By the way. I got the Primus set up and you need bigger grind coffee than regular store bought or else you get grounds everywhere

John,
Here it that bottle I use.
Eco Vessel Boulder Triple-Insulated Stainless Steel Water Bottle with Screw Cap (amazon $19).

I boiled 2 cups of water at 9 pm pre heated bottle with hot tap water, filled it then with boiling water put it outside till about 7 the next morning. It was lightly snowing and about 30 degrees and the water was as hot as I can drink my coffee. Worked just as good as my thermos but more compact and light empty. Never thought this hunting site would be so focused on a Starbucks product but really is way to go if you got hot water. Hope this helps

CCC

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back