Camo Necessary?

I once shot an elk at 10k....wearing blue gym shorts and a $9 realtree shirt. back story ...it had rained for 3 days and my wife had had enough....I hiked her down the 6 miles to the car and when I got back bulls were screaming in several directions. called him in to about 6ft

Being safe and comfortable is most important. After that who cares. We kill tens of thousands of deer in WI every year wearing blaze orange. My little guy got his first deer this year in a jacket my wife bought at a place called GAP. I shot my first antelope in a black fleece.

The main thing is that it matches. Matching pack is huge, as are the underwear. If your bino harness and stock match as well then you are truly a skilled hunter who looks great in the field.

In reality most big bucks that are seen are seen by guys in carhart and wranglers who are working. Not dressing up in thousands of dollars in gear for a 2 mile walk day hunt in nice weather during hunting season.

I knew some guys in Nebraska who lived very "old school" no power, no running water, etc... They would hunt in cowboy boots and those lined wrangler jean jackets and manage to kill big deer. It's not about the camo patterns.

If you're rifle hunting in CO, you'll just be covering your camo with blaze orange so get quality clothing rather than expensive camo.

Havent worn camo in several years, hasnt slowed me down. A plaid coat or shirt is as close to camo as i get. Bowhunting deer, calling predators, doesnt matter. Dont think ive made a kill beyond 60 yards in the last few years either. Most in the 30 yards or less range. Movement is what will get you spotted not a lack of camo. Look at lions, stealth predators that stalk within spitting distance of their prey, and theyre wearing solids, but they somehow kill deer elk etc just fine.

I have no "high end" camo such as Sitka, or Kuiu. For me it's a mix of Cabela's, military, and Carhartt. I use the same clothing for waterfowl as for big game.

I spent most of my life killing game in denim and flannel. Not one critter seemed to care. Today I have a complete set up in Sitka gear. Is it any better for killing game? I would say no. The reason for Sitka or Kuiu isn’t for camouflage as much as it is for performance.

Sitka gear is built for hunters and hunting and I like the durability and functionality. Blue jeans can get nasty when they get wet, the higher technology of Sitka gear is what I prefer.

When I was young, I had no money and blue jeans and a Coke jacket got me my nicest elk ever. I doubt the Sitka gear would have made any difference in hunting, but comfort and performance of Sitka is something I can afford now.

The difference 45 years makes...

661FCB99-6656-4811-A771-C01239B40A4F.jpegEE21B637-C3DE-4AC5-BABA-6D9C40365CDD.jpeg

Probably not an issue out there, but I wear camo so as not to get busted by critters that could then alert the deer. ie. turkeys and squirrels.

Just please make sure you have adequate layers, Colorado in the fall can get pretty cold and snowy really quick and wet jeans or cargo pants will get pretty miserable really quick, especially at those altitudes. I like my specialized hunting clothing for the dry factor, not necessarily the camouflage factor.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back