Cameron Peak fire Colorado GMU 7/8

coueshunter

Wow, what a dilemma! Cameron Peak Fire burning across my unit. Went to go scouting last week and couldn't even get in the area. Was checking again to head up and completely closed off.

Moose tags are so hard to get.

I haven't been able to find % of containment on the fire. Does anyone know? I was told I can turn my tag in for a voucher for next year. That seems to be the smart move.

Apparently they are not offering vouchers for the following years as they have done in the past for such issues, per this refund policy document. That doesn't seem right for sheep, moose, and mountain goat. It would be worth a call anyway, I think.

Some hunters received emails in the last day or two saying that they also had the option of a license next year (I know of a G15 goat hunter). Check to make sure you haven't gotten an email, and if not, give them a call.

CPW Northeast Region (303) 291-7227

Containment is 0%, about to begrudgingly send my muzzy bull elk tag back for refund/point restoration. The only reason I haven’t sent it back already is I’m delaying the inevitable man-pouting. They really should over some kind of vouchers for moose and sheep as astronomical as those draw odds are. Best of luck!

Apparently they are not offering vouchers for the following years as they have done in the past for such issues, per this refund policy document. That doesn't seem right for sheep, moose, and mountain goat. It would be worth a call anyway, I think.

I saw this the other day, brutal for the guys with big 3 tags if CPW doesn't offer vouchers...

For fires burning on BLM and USFS, check out this website: https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/

As to the Cameron Peak fire, they say it is 23K acres and 5% contained. Once they get it better contained, they sometimes update with an estimate of when the fire will be fully contained. For reference, look at the Pine Gulch fire north of Grand Junction - 139K acres with 81% containment and estimated full containment on September 15.

I drew a moose tag but not affected by wildfire. I believe you can return your tag up to the day before your hunt. You should have received an email. I thought they were only offering refund of money and restoration of points but I did not pay too much attention.

Thanks for the info, yes I got a call today saying I can turn it in for next year. Being out of state and not being able to get any scouting in I'm going just plan for next yera.

Good luck on your hunt!

Thanks! Looking forward to it for sure. That has to be welcoming news. It would be a tough nut to swallow if all you could do is get your money and points back.

A comment on the fire: they aren't "containing it." They plan on letting it burn until winter based on my casual conversation with a sheriff's office employee, with estimated day of containment is 10/31. They're just doing structure/value protection and far distant containment lines.

unfortunately had to turn tag in as well. Can't get to anywhere we had planned to go. still upset and it has been days since decision was made.

It got .25-.75" of rain last week and kicked back up as soon as it dried back out. It will take a few more snow events to put it out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back