Yeti GOBOX Collection

Calling Hammer Loaders

R

rwc101

7 rounds into loading some new Hammers and this happens. Known issue? I imagine it's due to how elongated the bullets are.

PXL_20210309_030201100.jpg

Is that seating plug pretty rough inside? I had to smooth out a few RCBS sets now for a different brand. Easy enough, just wish they’d come ready to load instead of needing polishing.

I have not had that happen to me and I load Hammers for 4 different calibers.
6.5 Creedmoor - Hornady Dies
7mm-08 - Hornady Dies
7mm Rem Mag - RCBS Dies
30-06 - RCBS Dies

I have noticed that the RCBS dies leave a noticeable seating ring.

With all of the different bullet profiles available today it is very difficult for manufacturers to get a “one size fits all” seating stem. I had to buy a different VLD profile seating stem for my Hornady 6.5G dies the other day, and I STILL had to bed the stem to seat the 129 ABLRs without damaging them. I used JB Weld after scuffing and cleaning/degreasing it well

Thanks all. After searching other forums it seems to happen in certain situations. I'll try the polishing route.

Idk why that's so funny to me, but it is.

I replaced my RCBS seating die with a FA universal, which comes from the factory with VLD-type seating stems. I was going to get a VLD stem from RCBS, but couldn't find them anywhere and I like the FA universal die a whole lot.

Good luck on the polishing -- take it from me and use a fine-grit lapping compound, NOT a valve lapping compound that you had laying around from rebuilding an old motorcycle...

Back