Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Call your Senators! CPW Commission Confirmation Vote - Delayed Again! Now Tues, 12 Mar!

I think every hunter, angler, outdoor rec user should flood the news outlets with editorials slamming these front range Senators for confirming a commissioner openly hostile toward hunting and unable to meet the statutory reguirements. Maybe a few journalists pick it up also.

We should also reach out and thank Roberts, Hinrichsen, Zenzinger, and Kolker for having the courage to stand up against Chairman Polis and hold the appointees to their statutory requirements.

Last edited:
I think every hunter, angler, outdoor rec user should flood the news outlets with editorials slamming these front range Senators for confirming a commissioner openly hostile toward hunting and unable to meet the statutory reguirements. Maybe a few journalists pick it up also.
Exactly - this is where RMEF/BHA and other interests that have good PR people within them can help get the word out on what happened today.

This should really be a major wake up call to hunters, anglers, and outdoor rec users in Colorado. We knew Polis has an anti-hunting agenda but we now know that the anti-hunting extremists also control the Senate. They have the ability to completely shut out the voice of sportsmen and women in those districts.

I was really disappointed to see folks like Priola and Exum from Weld and El Paso county vote to confirm. Exum is a former firefighter from the springs! Every firefighter I know is a hunter, many guide and outfit, how would he defend that kind of vote in a firehouse?

We really need a Political Action Committee specifically focused on state elected officials. Publish some type of “Sportpersons’ Voting Guide”, so hunters and anglers know who is voting against their interests. Identify those candidates and support their opposition in primaries and general elections.

It may be an unpopular opinion but just because someone isn't pro-hunting doesn't disqualify them from serving within the Commision of the Parks and Wildlife. While I don't agree with some of the rhetoric used by those groups, they still represent a portion of the state. I still stand by the opinion that collaboration works better than open hostility.

There’s a difference between “not being pro hunting” and being a political tool used to push an ideology and not represent your constituents.

The latter doesn’t even deserve a discussion about their place on or anywhere near a commission. I’m pissed about this.

It may be an unpopular opinion but just because someone isn't pro-hunting doesn't disqualify them from serving within the Commision of the Parks and Wildlife. While I don't agree with some of the rhetoric used by those groups, they still represent a portion of the state. I still stand by the opinion that collaboration works better than open hostility.
Sure. But that doesn’t apply to Beaulieu. Folks can be pro-hunting, neutral, or anti-hunting. There is a big difference in being neutral and anti-hunting. Have you looked at the rhetoric from Animal Wellness Action and Sam Miller lately? Their long term goal is clear, end hunting, bit by bit, piece by piece over the coming decades. Reshape the CPW commission. They do not represent a large portion of the State, they just have the overwhelmingly support of the Governor. Beaulieu worked for Center for Biological Diversity, runs the University of Denver Animal Law Program, and testified in favor of failed SB22-031 before the Senate Ag and Nat Resources committee, the mtn lion hunting ban, stating that trophy hunting is an unnecessary, inhumane threat the cats. All completely false of course. How would you describe that? If you can’t see her implicit anti-hunting bias, I can’t help you.

How do you collaborate with groups that want to eliminate you? Lots of hunting, fishing, wildlife conservation, and outdoor recreation groups collaborated to oppose this appointment. They were completely ignored by the Gov and the majority of the Senators.

From Colorado Politics

The vote on Beaulieu was 19 to 15, with four Democrats — Roberts, and Sens. Rachel Zenzinger, James Coleman and Nick Hinrichsen — voting against, along with the Senate's 11 Republicans. (One was excused for a funeral).

The final tally was not surprising. What was surprising was the other user groups who also opposed this particular nominee. Mountain bikers, snowmobilers, stock growers, and hunters. Regardless of her positions on hunting, Beaulieu is clearly unqualified and does not meet the requirements of the position. Yet the good senators confirmed her.

The rest of the legislative week is full of anti-gun bills. So that should be great.

How do you collaborate with groups that want to eliminate you? Lots of hunting, fishing, wildlife conservation, and outdoor recreation groups collaborated to oppose this appointment. They were completely ignored by the Gov and the majority of the Senators.
I am not sure you do... BUT hunters could be doing a much better job of positioning themselves with the third crowd here - those who are neither anti hunting, nor a hunter. We don't engage that group near as well as could and often our rhetoric straight up makes us look JUST like the anti hunting crowd paints us (shoot shovel shutup being the top of that list).

I have a lot more to say on this, but sometimes an Internet forum isn't the best place.

Hunters do a lot of good and I would argue care as much, if not more, about these animals than the anti hunting crowd... but we tend to fight within our ranks rather than putting our differences aside and mounting a unified effort.

It is crazy. Amazing how bloated the Colorado State Government has become...
I'm not implying there aren't wasteful processes in government - absolutely true beyond a reasonable doubt.

But I think the graph below has the most influence on the growth of various state government orgs. We've grown by "3.5 Wyoming's" since I moved here 27 years ago.

e.g. The equivalent of the entire Cheyenne Metro population plus everyone in Rawlins has moved to CO every single year over that span. Public orgs are going to grow with the population:

1710283420911.png

tl;dr - email your state Senator :)

From Colorado Politics

The vote on Beaulieu was 19 to 15, with four Democrats — Roberts, and Sens. Rachel Zenzinger, James Coleman and Nick Hinrichsen — voting against, along with the Senate's 11 Republicans. (One was excused for a funeral).

The final tally was not surprising. What was surprising was the other user groups who also opposed this particular nominee. Mountain bikers, snowmobilers, stock growers, and hunters. Regardless of her positions on hunting, Beaulieu is clearly unqualified and does not meet the requirements of the position. Yet the good senators confirmed her.

The rest of the legislative week is full of anti-gun bills. So that should be great.
Yuck. They sure know how to target States ripe for the taking... Washington and now Colorado. Who's next on Center for B.S. Diversity's agenda? I'm sure we shall see.
If a Republican Governor, would they have been nominated? Give up some aspects, gain others. Nature of politics.

Well shoot, sorry CO. Don’t let off the pedal. I’ll go to bat with you guys as much as I can.
We must.

The national and international eco-enviro / animal "rights" operations are feeding off wins as cheered within their newsletters.
It's funding their coffers and expanding their horizons.

This is not a Colorado issue.

We must.

The national and international eco-enviro / animal "rights" operations are feeding off wins as cheered within their newsletters.
It's funding their coffers and expanding their horizons.

This is not a Colorado issue.
Definitely not just a Co issue… I have infiltrated the CATS group… I get emails from them. They are having a zoom meeting soon and it had phone numbers listed, one 2 numbers from Co area codes. WA, Il, NY, DC, CA made up the bulk of the numbers listed

This should really be a major wake up call to hunters, anglers, and outdoor rec users in Colorado. We knew Polis has an anti-hunting agenda but we now know that the anti-hunting extremists also control the Senate. They have the ability to completely shut out the voice of sportsmen and women in those districts.

I was really disappointed to see folks like Priola and Exum from Weld and El Paso county vote to confirm. Exum is a former firefighter from the springs! Every firefighter I know is a hunter, many guide and outfit, how would he defend that kind of vote in a firehouse?

We really need a Political Action Committee specifically focused on state elected officials. Publish some type of “Sportpersons’ Voting Guide”, so hunters and anglers know who is voting against their interests. Identify those candidates and support their opposition in primaries and general elections.

Rather than spend time on PAC's that tilt at windmills, if those two individuals would have voted with you, you'd have won on a split vote. So, if they're going to be coming back for the foreseable future, get to know them after the session, or when they come back to town. Be a valued source rather than just a pissed off voice they hear from once every session or so.

Rather than spend time on PAC's that tilt at windmills, if those two individuals would have voted with you, you'd have won on a split vote. So, if they're going to be coming back for the foreseable future, get to know them after the session, or when they come back to town. Be a valued source rather than just a pissed off voice they hear from once every session or so.
That’s good advice, thank you. I actually contacted both over a dozen times the past 3 weeks, phone calls and personal emails. Actually spoke to an aide/rep from each. I wouldn’t describe my tone as “pissed off” during those calls. They were open to listen. I also requested in person meetings but they refused. I will try again once session is over. I want to believe that a regular individual can be a “trusted source” but not making much headway. I wonder if folks who represent an org or from a board of an org get more time.

Last edited:
That’s good advice, thank you. I actually contacted both over a dozen times the past 3 weeks, phone calls and personal emails. Actually spoke to an aide/rep from each. I wouldn’t describe my tone as “pissed off” during those calls. They were open to listen. I also requested in person meetings but they refused. I will try again once session is over. I want to believe that a regular individual can be a “trusted source” but not making much headway. I wonder if folks who represent an org or from a board of an org get more time.
I thought I heard folks from RMEF have an “in” sometimes if that makes sense.

I hope they do and will start working on it. We need organized help, the anti's we are up are heavily funded and have stacks of lawyers intentional trying to drain CPW and the other state coffers if they don't get there way. We need help now. It would be difficult to change what has occurred, but we need to stop their movement and not stand by and watch it play out state by state, species by species.

We need help!

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back