California hunters want to be heard

Randy, thanks for posting this article. I know this could be one of the areas sheep are located. I doubt I'll ever draw it though. I'm max points + 1 for elk and 9 for sheep.

The Carrizo Plains were funded mostly by hunters or at least the old ranch part. Tule elk,antelope,blacktails,quail,chuckers.
I used to hunt it & surrounding BLM & NF.
Then it became a World Heritage site and Monument status and it changed & they closed most all the roads.
Try and pack a Tule out in 100+deg heat without wonton waste.
The Tule cow in my avatar is from next door cattle ranch a buddy runs.
This Monument belongs to hunters as much as birdwatchers & petrogliph observers.

The article is incorrect as there is hunting in several NM here. The catch is that most of our NM are heritage/cultural sites and not great for hunting. That said, the Carrizo plain is open to hunting as well as Santa Rosa San Jacinto (our two landscape sized NM). All of our recent designations, San Gabriel Mountains, Sand to Snow and Berryessa Snow Mountain (which I was involved in) continue the permitted recreational uses of the BLM and FS.

I talked to Eric who was quoted in the paper and it was encouraging to hear that hunters have been the #1 represented group at the first two meetings.

Since this just popped on my radar as that article came up in my feed I emailed all our Socal BHA members and we should be posting something to our Facebook page to make sure we are still the number one group at the remaining two meetings.

I'm trying to get on a plane for the Thursday meeting to try and attend.

If anyone is interested in providing their input and recommending that public access to hunting and angling grounds is a priority in the development of the management plan please call Rebecca Wong (the current Monument Manager) at 909-382-2697.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back