California Blacktail

Seems to me that some TV guy should get an early start on next season and show people there is hunting to be had in California. Wonder if I would see any deer. Wonder if I could get a film permit, an obstacle that derailed a blacktail hunt idea in the Trinity Alps in 2010.

Would going BLM be easier than FS? There are some BLM spots in south A-zone that could hold pigs too of you wanted to do it. Where I was yesterday holds deer and there was water, but the oak leaves were like walking on potato chips. Yiu need to be out from under their cover to have a chance at archery range.

There's also Cache Creek Wilderness (BLM) in the north a zone which is going to gett rolled up into the Berryessa Smow Mountain Monument. I might have some contacts that could help.

Seems to me that some TV guy should get an early start on next season and show people there is hunting to be had in California. Wonder if I would see any deer. Wonder if I could get a film permit, an obstacle that derailed a blacktail hunt idea in the Trinity Alps in 2010.

I have friends who hunt the trinity alps and pack in, and bot filled tags on beatiful deer last year. I think you've got the best idea for a place to go!!!

Last edited:
Public land A zone is pretty sparse, hot and crunchy, especially during archery, with low success rates.
Hunters are guaranteed to get raging cases of poison oak, suffer huge frustration, and possibly even die from dehydration.

Sounds like a perfect hunt for you Randy.

Yes A zone can be tough, typically early for archery you see alot and then the last week of A zone, the bucks start to move. B zone is great, lots of public land, open during alot of deer activity and it's over the counter.

Great pics in this thread.
Here's a north Cali late May buck and the same deer now ................ still in the same remote wilderness area.

Attachments

• IMG_0797-1.jpg
    IMG_0797-1.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 518
  • IMG_6241-1.jpg
    IMG_6241-1.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 426
Interesting tree stand you have set up for him.Must be a long ways in and you were worried about weight for the pack in

Azone has lots of wild pigs too,and Tule elk. Public can be tough but very doable. Long season.
I think Blacktails are the toughest game to hunt in North America.
Gonna get my Euro out of storage to post a pic.

4 things I always hated about hunting A-Zone.
1) Dealing with 100 degree plus heat
2) Rattlesnakes
3) Stickers and burs (boy that tar weed really sucks)
4) Pot growers

Well with that said we have some great blacktail hunting that I have enjoyed for many years.
I will have to post some pictures latter.
Bill

I hear ya Bill!
Worked with a GF biologist when I was a Park Ranger.Laughed when he said ,"There are no blacktails in SLO county."
Took him and my GW hunting buddy to a few spots I knew held some.
He says'"Well maybe BC & the Dept don't recoginze them south of Bay area, WOW that's a big one!!" Get back to truck and we're covered head to toe in Tar weed burrs:eek:

CA used to have the best hunting/fishing over all in the west,IMHO. Variety,numbers,quality.

People,growers,cats have done a number.
I took 37 blacktails,32 mulies and 1 tule elk cow,hundreds of wild pigs and birds. 1970's til '09.
I gave up and moved:W:

I would love to see a CA hunt.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back