Calibers for WY mule deer

Powerman777

I am looking at taking my Ruger .270 and my Howa 7mm mag with me on my mule deer hunt to region H in Wyoming this year. Are these calibers good enough for hunting in the mountains??

A heavier bullet does not necessarily make a bigger hole. The size of a hole is a direct result of velocity and bullet construction-not only the weight. A 150 is a good choice. I really like the 139 grain Hornady Interlocs in my 7 mag for deer, though, loaded to 3100 fps.

Ive used 175 gr in my 7mm mag while bear hunting but an glad you agree 150 in 7mm mag for deer is plenty,130 in .270 will also easily do the job too,with a little less kick too.good luck on your hunt.

To directly answer your question: YES both calibers are fine for mule deer at any longitude, latitude or elevation.

I'd say (with a touch of sarcasm) if you shot those rifles enough you wouldn't need to ask us which one to take. One of them is more of a favorite than the other. If you don't have a favorite yet, shoot more. Take your favorite rifle.

I am skeered to death to have more than one centerfire rifle. Each additional rifle caliber just doubles the odds that I will grab the wrong shells.

Last edited:
To directly answer your question: YES both calibers are fine for mule deer at any longitude, latitude or elevation.

I'd say (with a touch of sarcasm) if you shot those rifles enough you wouldn't need to ask us which one to take. One of them is more of a favorite than the other. If you don't have a favorite yet, shoot more. Take your favorite rifle.

I am skeered to death to have more than one centerfire rifle. Each additional rifle caliber just doubles the odds that I will grab the wrong shells.

I was planning on taking both and keeping the .270 for backup in case something happens to my 7mm. I was just asking if they would both be good calibers in the mountains.

Those are both great mountain calibers. Whichever is the lightest one would be the one that I would carry all things being equal. Right on about the backup. It is real easy to break a scope or something while hunting.

Both will serve you well.

take the 7mm put it in the closet and never bring it out again. The 270 is all the gun you need. 140 grain hornady is a great bullet.

Like others have said, shoot which ever shoots the best, that you like the most!

Mule deer aren't elk and dont' take near the bullet or knock-down, but either of these calibers would be fine on elk also.

Back-up guns are good if you are driving to another state, but wrong ammo is very very bad.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back