Cabo San Luis Fishing

pa mt man

Cabo San Lucas Fishing

My sons and and always wanted to fish there. My younger son gradutates from college on may 6 and we decided to go fishing instead of a hunting trip out west this year. We are going for a week (may 10-17). We are going cheap since I'm footing the bill. We are fishing two days with Elbuster charters and staying at the Seista Suites. I know Danr did a lot of fishing there and some of you other guys have gone there and I was hoping some of you might give me some advise on what to watch out for or suggestions for things to do.

Thanks Don

I was there around halloween this year. I stayed at a time share place that my buddy bought into. We went out with an outfit that the hotel set up and I honestly don't remember the name of it. We caught a bunch of tuna and hooked into a couple marlin that we were unable to land. What fish you can get is totally dependant on the time of year...I'm not sure what they're catching in May. The biggest thing to watch out for is the airport. It is a mess. There are people screaming at you and trying to get you to see their presentations. I'm kinda torn on the whole time share thing. It pretty much took all of one morning, but in return, we got free round trip transportation to/from the airport (worth at least $50...the airport is a ways from town), plus we got $100 in vouchers to use at the resort (we had a couple meals) In addition, they also fed us breakfast that morning. Was it worth it? I thought so. The salesperson that we dealt with was pretty low key. She showed us around the place (in a golf cart) and presented the prices and current deals. When we said we couldn't afford it, the sales pitch disappeared and we chatted with her for a while. She didn't pressure us at all. Maybe we got lucky.

One more thing about the airport. Be careful with customs. When they say no meat products, they mean it. They confiscated a couple of bags of beef jerkey from me and really gave me a hard time about it.

Have fun!

P.S. - I'm assuming you meant Cabo San Lucas...because thats what I'm talking about!!! :) :)

Thanks guppie9. Yes, I did mean Cabo San Lucas.
I'm alittle worried about getting thur the airport without getting taken. The guy I chartered with told me to take the airport shuttle and it's 16.00/person one way. But when I went to some other fishing web sites, they were talking 200.00 for a taxi ride if your not careful, since they don't have meters in the cabs.
The hotel we are staying at is next to the marina and comes with a full kitchen and barbucue grill so I do plan on cooking some of our meals there.
They also said to bring a lot of small bills 5-10-20's and negoitate everything. I'm not good at that. Other things I heard were of course "don't drink the water". That was from the american representive of the hotel we are at. She said it three times.
Thanks again for the reply guppie9.

I have been down there twice now. We fished in February and caught tuna and dorado. Went with Minerva's both times and had a really really good time. The airport isn't as bad as they make it sound and there are shuttle vans all over the place. Cabo is the safest destination in Mexico, IMHO.

You can take your catch down town to a few of the restruants and they will cook it up for you 3 or 4 different ways for like $3 a person. While there you have to hit the gigglin marlin, Cabo Wabos and el Squid Roe.

It is very safe to be down there and I can't wait to go back. Wish I was going and DO NOT DRINK the water, Tequila yes, water no.

Nemont

Thanks for the reply, Nemont. I'm feeling better about the airport, but I wish I had taken spanish in highschool instead of Latin and German. Wait a minute, I can't speak those languages either. :D Sounds like we are going to have a blast anyway.

One thing about the airport is that you will see more Private Jets then anywhere you have ever been.

While we were partying at el Squid Roe we saw Michael Jordan and his entourage. Several other celebrities and their various hangers on.

I won the Tequila drinking contest on the sunset booze cruise and that sure made my wife proud of me. Those little Mexican guys didn't stand a chance.

It is amazing how many boats fish out of that port and the mad dash in morning to get going is pretty funny. You always want your boat to be flying a lot of flags when you return.

Just a word of caution bring a pen with you to have available at the airport. I didn't and I asked the young lady behind the customs desk if I could use her pen to sign my customs declaration form. She kicked me to end of the line and I had to wait for another 1/2 hour. They have this funky deal where you push this button and if the light is green you go and if it red you get searched.

We shipped back about 60lbs of tuna and dorado fillets and didn't have a problem. Just bought a cooler down there and put it aboard as checked baggage.

Nemont

Just looking at some pics of Cabo, man I miss it.

126431-big.jpg

126435.jpg

126437.jpg

Just a thought. Could you maybe arrange transportation through the hotel you are staying at for a set price. Kinda like those guys you see standing in the airport with the names written on paper to greet their customer. Maybe they have something for their guests?

PA,
Just believe the signs on the Pacific side telling you to stay clear of the beach, the undertow sucks people away every year!
If you get "hung" do it earlier in the evening!
WD

Tequila is a nasty truth serum, seldom delivering on the optimism one so foolishly feels prior to that first shot. :eek:

Thank's for the advise: Cameron,Wally Dog, and noharleyyet.
Cameron, I don't think I could explain what I wanted to the clerk. It took me 15 mins to get the guy to understand my credit card #'s. Besides, the place we are staying at doesn't look all that great.

Wally, I picked a bad time to quit drinking for a while. A month ago I bet some friends I could quit till July 8, my son and daughter's gradutation partys. I was hitting the whiskey hard ever since I came back from that cruise in January. I ate lunch at the tavern I did my drinking at today and the owner came to me and said he would pay my bets if I would start drinking again cause he going broke. :eek: It's going to be hard not to drink down there.
I wasn't planning on swimming in the ocean but I will defintely heed your advise.

Nemont, I wasn't planning on bringing any fish home, but if it isn't too much trouble maybe I will. Did you take a cooler with you or did you buy one there and how did you seal it? I read on another site that you better have your fishing licence on you or you will get busted at the airport when your are leaving with your fish. I bought the all inclusive package with the licenses included and they said make sure that they give you your licence on the boat.

Thanks Don

I am trying to make it down there for Xmas this year. never been there, so any pointers will be great.

I just got back from a 9 day trip, caught a nice Marlin, no Dorado, or Tuna this time. We go down every year and love it, Cabo is great! You don't need to speak Spanish almost all of them understand English, shit they have a Home Depot and Costco now. We stay at the Fienastara which is right on the Pacific and a very nice hotel, it's only about $130.00 a night. We have always fished with Pisces they have the best record for fishing down there. Watch out for special deals all the restaurant owners, hotels want to give ya, every thing down there is about a "time share"! Also make sure you take a SPF 30 to 50 sunscreen you'll get burnt to hell in about 20 minutes!
100_0031.jpg

100_0039.jpg

100_0078.jpg

7785d34e.jpg

100_0078.jpg

100_0083.jpg

100_0169.jpg

pa mt man said:
Thanks guppie9. Yes, I did mean Cabo San Lucas.
I'm alittle worried about getting thur the airport without getting taken. The guy I chartered with told me to take the airport shuttle and it's 16.00/person one way. But when I went to some other fishing web sites, they were talking 200.00 for a taxi ride if your not careful, since they don't have meters in the cabs.
The hotel we are staying at is next to the marina and comes with a full kitchen and barbucue grill so I do plan on cooking some of our meals there.
They also said to bring a lot of small bills 5-10-20's and negoitate everything. I'm not good at that. Other things I heard were of course "don't drink the water". That was from the american representive of the hotel we are at. She said it three times.
Thanks again for the reply guppie9.

All the hotels have fine water, it's only down town in the Old buildings ya watch out for. They serve bottled water 99.5 % of the time anyway. Take a lot of $1s we took about $1,000 divided in 1s 5s & 10s. Always negoitaite what they ask for, they always ask for 10 bucks over what they'll take.."ALWAYS". The only spanish you need to know is "No Gracias" when all the people try to sell ya bracelets, neckless, and gum from the kids. You'll say it a million times by the time you leave. If you want any info on who we used for the Airport, where to eat or anything else PM me!

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back