Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Cabela’s stopped selling game calls?

I worked at a cabelas distribution center part time in 2010 during their holiday rush. After the open interview you went straight to a physical and the first thing at the physical was a breathalyzer. I asked “Are you serious?” And the nurse replied “You’d be surprised.”

Scheel’s for convenience, knowledgeable personnel in shooting sports/hunting and decent prices on ammo and reloading supplies. MidwayUSA for more specific items. I really like supporting small town sporting goods stores and gas stations. Willing to pay a bit more (sometimes don’t have to). I want them to be there in a time of need.

I attended a Scheel's store in Montana last November. I am hoping they expand with stores in the east. Cabela's has been on a downward spiral only accelerated after the merger.

I attended a Scheel's store in Montana last November. I am hoping they expand with stores in the east. Cabela's has been on a downward spiral only accelerated after the merger.
I feel the same way about Scheels and Cabelas.

I don't mind shopping at the original store in Sidney, whenever I get out that way, but I rarely buy much there anymore. Like was stated, most of the people that used to work there, have been replaced with kids and other people that are clueless. We have their credit card yet, as I can still find enough stuff to spend the points on. I mainly buy fishing stuff from them and a few smaller items. Most of my bullets etc., are found online. The store was pure crap right after the takeover, but I have to say that the last couple times that I have been there, the selection and assistance has improved.

Not knowing about the cow calls, is really pathetic, even if they were working in clothing!

Before the merger I was a big fan of Cabelas. Probably the biggest reason was because they offered a small military discount that was available with online shopping. So I would wake up a lot of mornings and jump on the cabelas app and shop mainly the bargain cave but other deals as well. Then I would do pick up in store since I drive past cabelas every Friday for work. Then when I would stop to pick up my online order I’d usually end up buying more stuff in store. They were getting a couple thousand a year outta me.

I haven’t shopped there since the merger besides trying to use gift cards I get every Christmas.

I have since switched to Fleet Farm and recently have found Scheels and Jesus do I like Scheels. Now lately I’ve been stopping at Scheels every Friday. I’m sure the mall is tired of seeing my semi taking up a whole row of parking spots.... 🤷‍♂️

They just closed the Cabelas store near me a few weeks ago. Kinda expected it place was a ghost town mostly and Bass pro was just a few miles down the road in a more productive shopping center. I had a Cabelas CC for years but a little while after the merge I dumped it after a fiasco with the card. Oh well

Yeah I kinda gave up on Cabela's a year or so ago. Every time I go they hound me to become a club member and get the credit card. I usually go to sportsmans instead. Ammo is cheaper and they always have it in stock.

Yeah I kinda gave up on Cabela's a year or so ago. Every time I go they hound me to become a club member and get the credit card. I usually go to sportsmans instead. Ammo is cheaper and they always have it in stock.
I like Sportsman's, but no stores close. The one that I have stopped in, in Casper, Wyoming, is a great store.

I worked at a cabelas distribution center part time in 2010 during their holiday rush. After the open interview you went straight to a physical and the first thing at the physical was a breathalyzer. I asked “Are you serious?” And the nurse replied “You’d be surprised.”

I was going to suggest Walmart do the same. But they'd have very few employees.

Cabela's is dying a slow painful death since they went public and then the buyout w/Basspro, in a few years the name won't even exist anymore......

Cabelas has lost its soul. Instead of driving ~20 minutes to Cabelas, I drive 35 minutes to Sportsmans. I only go to Cabelas anymore so my daughters can look at the fish tank and the animals, and that's only if it's on the way home from somewhere else.

I won't be surprised when the Anchorage Cabelas closes. That place is a ghost town most days. Its been there for 7 years now (I did all the sight engineering), and I think I've set foot in it 4 times, after the 4th trip of not finding what I needed I just went to Sportsman's or a locally owned mountaineering store. Haven't been there in a couple years now. Prices are not great, very few sales, and half the stuff is not really geared to hunting in Alaska, the other half is Walmart quality at best.

I won't be surprised when the Anchorage Cabelas closes. That place is a ghost town most days. Its been there for 7 years now (I did all the sight engineering), and I think I've set foot in it 4 times, after the 4th trip of not finding what I needed I just went to Sportsman's or a locally owned mountaineering store. Haven't been there in a couple years now. Prices are not great, very few sales, and half the stuff is not really geared to hunting in Alaska, the other half is Walmart quality at best.
Yeah, have to agree. Pretty empty whenever we went in. A lot different than when they first opened. We were scouring the bargain cave and sales getting things for the cabin. It was also the cheapest place at the time for a generator. Ended up getting more things at Walmart and Sportsman's but we did manage to save a few bucks at Cabela's. With the Bass Pro at the other end of town it doesn't make much sense to keep them both open.

With the Bass Pro at the other end of town it doesn't make much sense to keep them both open.

Funny story, I worked on that project as well. When they told us they were going to open 3 months after project kickoff I laughed... and said a year and 3 months will be closer. I was off by about 2 weeks.

They do have decent prices on game processing, and are competitive on most things if they have them in stock. They just don't have a clue what to keep in stock and run out all the time. They're system has limits on what they can keep in inventory and how much, rather than knowing local market conditions.

Back in high school I worked at scheels for a few years. They value their employees being knowledgeable. We'd get sent to training outings where you learn more about specific products. They specialize and I've always had a great experience there. The salesmen are paid on commission so it really pays to know what you're selling to the customers. I would get customers that would specifically ask for me before looking at anything. If I didn't know much about a product, there was at least 1 other person who knew the product inside and out. We all specialized in a certain department of sporting goods to better serve the customer. I spent most of my time in the optics, fishing, and hunting equipment sections. Areas I avoided were Reloading, guns, most of the hunting clothing, and outdoor cooking.

For the most part, if someone has a product specific question, there's not much that can't be answered by reading the box. Otherwise we would make a phone call to find the specific answer. I still shop at Scheels almost exclusively for my hunting and fishing gear. They will match any price. They've even matched Guidefitter for me on several occasions.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back