Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Cabela's sold ??

We use the card for everything and pay it off every month. I have gotten gobs of free stuff from Cabela's over the years.

Same here, pay it off every month. I've gotten a lot of reloading components free.
It would suck if they eliminated that.

We have a Cabelas, BP, and Sportsmans here. The only place I go regularly is Sportsmans because there is a much greater likely hood of finding what I need. I go to the others to look at the taxidermy, but very rarely buy anything.

Cabela's stocks in stores what turns. They can't use valuable shelf and floor space to let stuff just sit there. What you see in the stores is what the "destination store" customer wants. Kinda like Mickey Mouse ears at Disneyland.

I think there is another reason the stores are doing poorly compared to online. I almost never purchase at the store. I will go in, check it out, try it on, and then order when I get home. The most recent purchase, I did not even have to wait to get home. No, I did not use my smartphone - I actually placed my order using the terminal at their register... It was for 2x large series trolling batteries for one of my charter boats (~$600) and I did not want to deal with them since was in wife's car and we were visiting kids at college that weekend. Oh, and in the store it was $15 more or a core trade each - well my dead batteries were 90min away - mail order had no core charge AND I will get paid to recycle my batteries locally (+15 each then too) - did I mention free shipping for batteries too.

Got to wonder how much credit a store looses out on this but in my case it is substantial over a year. Think of their store model (at lease originally) they put along interstate where folks would be passing by on their way to somewhere else - if you did not need to use it immediately - just have it sent home... I have suggested they put something in their online order system to indicate store for credit as I don't want them to close my stores where I do stop to check things out... Also put a kiosk in the stores so that people can easily order and ship home.

There are also financial advantages to having it shipped home depending on your home state/local sales tax laws - esp since if you can wait a week or two, they will give free shipping on orders too.

I think Cabela's has just got too big and has too many of those MBA folks running things that have never spent a night in the woods - that is what happens when you go public I guess. One of the major fishing gear companies that I deal with in my charter business recently realized this problem too when they discontinued the rod that is loved and desired for great lakes walleye fishing. When I talked with them about this, they said that the engineers said it would be better as the tip had more graphite content - problem is that "more graphite" is less responsive and you can't easily read walleye from trash fish from no fish. Can't catch a walleye when you are trolling a 10" white bass all day... When I heard discontinued, I went out and purchased every one I could get my hands on... Think I have ~100 sitting in the plastic still - good investment too - their value has more than doubled in a year - much better performance than my 401k. :hump:

I wore them out in my boots. I wear my hunting socks and boots all year. It's all I have for footwear, and i'm in the mountains at leat 300 days a year hiking, scouting, hunting, and sometimes fly fishing the high mountain creeks for lunch.

Socks take a beating with me. ;)

I hope that Cabelas maintains some of the quality stuff Cabelas branded stuff. Things like the Meindl boots and Meopta optics. Their service is always good too. Once in awhile they'll be the cheapest, or near the cheapest. Usually around Christmas. I bought some Browning trail cameras from there this Christmas and they were the best deal around.

Cabelas is quite superior to Bass Pro, but I don't buy the majority of my gear from either one.

I second the Meindl boots. I believe Cabelas is the main distributor for them in the US.

You have to be careful which model you buy. The good ones are made in Germany, and the bad ones are made in Asia.

I second the Meindl boots. I believe Cabelas is the main distributor for them in the US.

You have to be careful which model you buy. The good ones are made in Germany, and the bad ones are made in Asia.

Yup, gotta get the Denalis, Perfekt, Alaskan, or a few others. Their version of the Danner Pronghorn, the Ultralight hunter, is just about as crappy as the Danner.

Yup! I've had the Perfekt version for 7 years, and the construction is still sound after going through 3 resoles.

I think there is another reason the stores are doing poorly compared to online. I almost never purchase at the store. I will go in, check it out, try it on, and then order when I get home. The most recent purchase, I did not even have to wait to get home. No, I did not use my smartphone - I actually placed my order using the terminal at their register... It was for 2x large series trolling batteries for one of my charter boats (~$600) and I did not want to deal with them since was in wife's car and we were visiting kids at college that weekend. Oh, and in the store it was $15 more or a core trade each - well my dead batteries were 90min away - mail order had no core charge AND I will get paid to recycle my batteries locally (+15 each then too) - did I mention free shipping for batteries too.

Got to wonder how much credit a store looses out on this but in my case it is substantial over a year. Think of their store model (at lease originally) they put along interstate where folks would be passing by on their way to somewhere else - if you did not need to use it immediately - just have it sent home... I have suggested they put something in their online order system to indicate store for credit as I don't want them to close my stores where I do stop to check things out... Also put a kiosk in the stores so that people can easily order and ship home.

There are also financial advantages to having it shipped home depending on your home state/local sales tax laws - esp since if you can wait a week or two, they will give free shipping on orders too.

I think Cabela's has just got too big and has too many of those MBA folks running things that have never spent a night in the woods - that is what happens when you go public I guess. One of the major fishing gear companies that I deal with in my charter business recently realized this problem too when they discontinued the rod that is loved and desired for great lakes walleye fishing. When I talked with them about this, they said that the engineers said it would be better as the tip had more graphite content - problem is that "more graphite" is less responsive and you can't easily read walleye from trash fish from no fish. Can't catch a walleye when you are trolling a 10" white bass all day... When I heard discontinued, I went out and purchased every one I could get my hands on... Think I have ~100 sitting in the plastic still - good investment too - their value has more than doubled in a year - much better performance than my 401k. :hump:

What a lot of people don't know is that Cabela's has been considering doing away with catalog for a long time. They have not done it and probably won't, but the store has produced more than the mail-order evidently.

I hunted geese this afternoon with the husband of a Cabela's supervisor. He said that it is all just rumors with no substance. The guy that starts these rumors, has done it before and makes millions because of it.

I guess that we will hide and watch!

I love my Cabelas Meindle Perfeckt boots and Cabelas microtex clothes. I can't think of any Bass Pro/redhead clothing or footwear that I've ever owned that was any good.

hmm, if it can be shown that this "guy" is manipulating stock values by starting rumors - that i believe is a securities exchange violation and he can be busted, fined and tossed into jail.

It is possible that the Cabelas Brand would be maintained even if it gets sold. Quite often the end consumer doesn't realize that the name on the door and the owner aren't the same. Cabelas has created a name through the years for themselves, maybe it's not what it used to be, that should continue to be recognized, generate profits and customer satisfaction. Think of the very few people you see in the field who don't have something with Cabelas written on it.

Cabela's would save a ton of money if they would just pull back on some of their catalog mailings. I'm getting a catalog every week it seems and they are the same with a different cover. That cant be cheap and the post office would probably save a ton of labor.

Very true on ownership changing and the name staying the same. I work for a company that was acquired by a massive corporation two years ago. They kept us as is name stayed the same, product offerings stayed etc- all because of the brand recognition in our sector of the market. Funny how we just became a profit line item on the books of the mother ship and yet most of the general public thinks we are two separate companies and even competitors. I hope Cabelas stays as is...

From what I read Cabelas did 1.3 billion in sales last year. Some think it's more. Do they really have to sell?

I guess it's the wallyworld trend these days, and they get too big to be any good?
Or they make a really good product and then stop producing it and you get new improved junk and great one is gone.
Case in point TC and the original Omega mz. Don't think much of the new ones I've seen.
I like deals,but quality that lasts is most important to me. Some stuff I only wear hunting,other stuff year round. And most everything lasts a long time or did.
My Cabellas Meindl Ibex boots are at least 15 yrs old and still work,but stiffer now.Made in Germany. Discontinued.
Have at least 15 yrs on my 1st set of Microtex hunting pants and shirt.Pants are a bit thread bare now but are my back ups now.
30 yrs on my Gander Mtn waterfowl parka,still bomb proof.
20 yrs on Alaska Freighter pack ...green original. In the truck on hunts for the big jobs still.
20+ yrs on Cabellas gore-tex rain suit I got for Park Ranger job and it's still always in my truck.
My Woolrich hunting coat my uncle left me 40 yrs ago gets used every year all winter and is still like new. Made in USA with USA wool. Too many other wool shirts,sweaters and pants to list in this dept.
12 yrs on Kenetrek Grizzly packs and I use them all winter now. Still the most reliable,stable snow boot I have. Even better than the Sorrels I got in 75' in Butte ....still have those too.

So now I try stuff on and check it out if I can and get best deal I can from there.
How I got my Lowa Tibets this year. Saved $200 and made in Germany.
They are made as well as my 1st pair of Lowas I got in 69' and hope they last as long......which is longer than I probably have left.lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back