Caribou Gear

ca deer zones quick!

slamdmini

well me and my pops didnt get drawn for utah or colorado like we were hoping, so looks like we're gonna stay in our home state this year. i havent hunted deer in cali before and my dad hasnt hunted here in 15 years. ive done lots of research but havent found any solid info. just wondering if anyone knows what some descent zones are for ca? the draw closes in a few days so we need to hurry. thank you in advance.

I'm not sure what part of the state your from but me being from up north C is a good choice with no pp. Lots of country, myself i will be trying for X2 with 5pp. Good luck!
Mike

With no points one of the Northern C zones would be your best bet, any X zone will require 2 points normally. You could also get most of the D zone tags over the counter but the success rates are pretty low for those.

sweet thank you guys for the help. im in ventura county but theres no place good around here so we were planning on heading someplace north

Put in for an X-zone, but you probably won't get drawn, so include a second choice remembering that you will not do well without scouting. My suggestion matches Jryoung: A-zone south and scout your own backyard north of Ojai and Santa Barbara. As for CA zones, remember that "good" is relative when it comes to CA zones. Even the best X zone is tough hunting for scarce resources. Many/most CA hunters never see a buck during hunting season. Apply for a PP next year and then you will have good odds for an X-zone in 2014 should your out of state tag not get drawn.

Just to clarify Muleybowhunter's comment on D zone success: you can get the tag, it's the hunting success that is very low (I live in D3).

Put in for an X-zone, but you probably won't get drawn, so include a second choice remembering that you will not do well without scouting. My suggestion matches Jryoung: A-zone south and scout your own backyard north of Ojai and Santa Barbara. As for CA zones, remember that "good" is relative when it comes to CA zones. Even the best X zone is tough hunting for scarce resources. Many/most CA hunters never see a buck during hunting season. Apply for a PP next year and then you will have good odds for an X-zone in 2014 should your out of state tag not get drawn.

Just to clarify Muleybowhunter's comment on D zone success: you can get the tag, it's the hunting success that is very low (I live in D3).

Good point on applying for the X zone 1st choice. I always forget that you get a point even if you get awarded 2nd choice. So put down an X zone 1st choice and C or whatever else you want second and the you will have a point for next year.

X zones you'll have slim to no chance of drawing with no points. I have heard of it happening though. C Zone is a good choice, Lots of hunters to deal with up there. B zone west of I5 toward mendocino and humboldt and shasta counties can be good. its rough country and the weather can push mid 80s. Hunt the morning and evenings when they are moving to and from bed from water. Find a good trail and you should be golden.

Well, when I lived in cali, and I know after a few times it has happened. I have seen many people have luck drawing an x zone with no points if it was the first time applying. I would apply for an x zone and test your luck. If you happen to put in to x-12 and are lucky enough to draw it if that is a zone you are interested in. Let me know and I can help you out. Family is from there and lived there for over 50 years.

May need to start hunting cats to get the deer numbers back up. My friends hunt the B zones and said your doing good to see deer a day and you usually do not see a buck.

Good point on applying for the X zone 1st choice. I always forget that you get a point even if you get awarded 2nd choice. So put down an X zone 1st choice and C or whatever else you want second and the you will have a point for next year.
awesome info, that was gonna be my next question. thank you, thank you. i can always count on u guys for good info.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back