Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Bwca permits

Gellar

Anyone get one yesterday? Which entry point? What’s your route?

I am seriously considering a trip to the bwca if they don’t open the border to Canada. Which is not looking good. I would like to do either ep 16 on the moose river to lac la croix or ep 25 moose lake and head to knife. I am also thinking about early October so I would just do a self permit for either of those at the entry point.

I used to go in at Gabbro lake, it's a long first portage but after that you can canoe into little gabbro, bald eagle, and into a couple of smaller lakes for day trips. I used to work up there off the Echo trail at Big Lake Wilderness lodge, and my mom lives 1/2 mile from the moose river.

I used to go in at Gabbro lake, it's a long first portage but after that you can canoe into little gabbro, bald eagle, and into a couple of smaller lakes for day trips. I used to work up there off the Echo trail at Big Lake Wilderness lodge, and my mom lives 1/2 mile from the moose river.
I worked for an outfitter in Ely when I was in college for a few seasons. I transported people and their gear on a towboat across Moose lake to prairie portage.

How cool, when was that? I was working at that resort in the summers of '96 and '97 if I remember correctly.

My parents now own the Loon falls portage if you've ever been up that way.

05 or 06. One of the best “jobs” I’ve had. I always tell my wife when I retire in 20 years I’m going to do it again!
Ive never been to loon falls portage. When I turn 40 in a few years I plan to canoe from lake of the woods to Lake Superior like the voyageurs did so I will go through that area in 3 years.

Dad called up and got us all set up ! We are taking the tow out of Moose this year...we haven't been that route in years! Knife lake is beautiful and deep!!! I usually go down the Kawishiwi about 5 portages, and the fishing seems to be way better! Its a good time no matter which direction you go!!

Dad called up and got us all set up ! We are taking the tow out of Moose this year...we haven't been that route in years! Knife lake is beautiful and deep!!! I usually go down the Kawishiwi about 5 portages, and the fishing seems to be way better! Its a good time no matter which direction you go!!
Do you go through latourells or Williams and hall or someone else for your tow? If I went that way I’d get a tow to birch and picked up at ensign

Do you go through latourells or Williams and hall or someone else for your tow? If I went that way I’d get a tow to birch and picked up at ensign
we are good friends with Williams and Hall. Blaine is a good dude. We have done that tow also...last time I was up there I was amazed at how many crawfish were in Ensign! It was unreal. lol

Unfortunately probably rusty crayfish. An invasive to MN. I haven’t been to ensign in 8 years but they are bad at our cabin on lake of the woods.

Unfortunately probably rusty crayfish. An invasive to MN. I haven’t been to ensign in 8 years but they are bad at our cabin on lake of the woods.
I spent a memorable night on Ensign lake about 20 years ago. It was early May and the ice had just gone out. I was camped there with few friends (including my future wife). The water was just boiling off of our campsite, as fish were rising to something. Panfish were about the only legal thing to fish for at that point in the year and so I'd just brought a 3 weight fly rod. I tied on a little micky finn and cast it out to see what the fish were. Bam! Turns out, they were mostly chunky smallmouths in the 3-4 pound range and damn there were alot of them and damn they were hungry!

I spent a memorable night on Ensign lake about 20 years ago. It was early May and the ice had just gone out. I was camped there with few friends (including my future wife). The water was just boiling off of our campsite, as fish were rising to something. Panfish were about the only legal thing to fish for at that point in the year and so I'd just brought a 3 weight fly rod. I tied on a little micky finn and cast it out to see what the fish were. Bam! Turns out, they were mostly chunky smallmouths in the 3-4 pound range and damn there were alot of them and damn they were hungry!
Wow, that is what dreams are made of! On a 3 weight they were Probly all you could handle!

Back