Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Buzz & Jeff's late season adventure!

JM77

With late cow elk season upon us, Buzz and I each had a third unfilled tag left. Of course, with elk management Wyoming style being very important to both of us, we made a plan. Our plan was to meet halfway between our respective towns at 5:30 am sharp the next morning. At about 6:15 am I began to wonder where Buzz was. So being out of phone service, I moved from our planned meeting place (at least the one I thought we agreed on) and I receive this; "You lost?". Apparently, when Buzz says to meet at a certain location, he means the highway turnoff nearest to that location!🤷‍♂️

I pile in with him, and yes @rwc101, he did drive after all, and he goes bombing down the road, smoking through corners, heavily braking between bursts of acceleration, until I get so car sick I almost puke! I finally tell Buzz I am not feeling well and he slows downs and drives quite normal to our hunting spot. At this point elk hunting is no longer on my mind, but a snow squall moves in and we can't see the country anyway. I know I need fresh air, but the wind is howling at pure horizontal wind chain mode and I just lean back and try to recoup.

Finally we can see and Buzz begins glassing. He sees nothing. We move to another spot and he sees nothing. We move again and I muster the energy to get my binos to my eyes. "I see some elk Buzz". I start to feel a little better. A few elk turn into hundreds and they are using a rocky ridge to shelter from the gale force breeze. We drive the main road within about a mile and a half from them and know this is where we must begin our stalk. I ask Buzz to please give me a little time, as I still feel the effects of the mornings Indy 500 dirt road event. Eventually I concede if we came to kill elk we better get out of the truck.

The wind is blowing so hard we each have to open our doors separately to get our gear so as not to clear the contents of Buzz's truck over the landscape. Of course Buzz has to take his slippers off and get into some boots. That's odd, I thought! We get all equipped and begin the journey and up the draw we go, me following behind Buzz to keep the full force of the wind off of me. Eventually, we have to circle around or they will see us. We keep circling around, hill after hill, while we climb toward them. Finally we can circle no more. If we could drop off a saddle, it would get us low enough the elk couldn't see us. Buzz says they will see us at first and spook. I say "I'll walk behind you and you drop off this saddle and pretend to look like an elk.
Of course it worked.

Another 400 yards or so and we sneak into position. I shoot mine with the 300 RUM and Buzz shoot his with some popgun he hunts with. Of course mine lays dead in front of us and Buzz has to go look for his. That popgun sure does kill them after they go about 300 yards!DSC03259.jpg
My cow, young and fat.
261756698_619373502723246_6543325062946640465_n.jpg
Buzz's cow, death by popgun! More to follow.

Last edited:
Meet Wally...recovery with panache
WallyFreeNaturalBluee900_513de81a-40e1-4b82-9ec9-bcac895cde12_2048x2048.jpg

Call me old fashioned but I drive in crocs.
Do you need a shoe that's chic enough for the office, durable enough for a pronghorn stalk, and has that performance fit for sitting in I-70 traffic?

Have you pulled a buck out of your corolla and sprayed your loafers in whitetail bits.

Well the allbird lounger is the shoe for you, merino and washable and it comes if fun colors to match your la croix can.

The allbird lounger is avid indoorsman approved.

1639056190803.png

I projectile vomitted on the side of the dirt road heading up to my first archery hunt during last year's opening weekend. Like enough that I was shocked my entire body contained that much liquid. But the first bugle when we rolled down the windows after parking was enough to take my mind off it, and I can honestly credit that day with me being serious about hunting.

Do you need a shoe that's chic enough for the office, durable enough for a pronghorn stalk, and has that performance fit for sitting in I-70 traffic?

Have you pulled a buck out of your corolla and sprayed your loafers in whitetail bits.

Well the allbird lounger is the shoe for you, merino and washable and it comes if fun colors to match your la croix can.

The allbird lounger is avid indoorsman approved.

View attachment 204689

White soles, perfect for the dirt!

Back