Buying bonus points?

MHMT

There is probably old posts on this, but I got sick of looking through all of them.

As of now I don't have enough money or time to fund out of state hunting trips... but I hope to in the future... so my question is, what states are you able to buy bonus points in so I can hope to draw some good tags down the road?

I am most interested in the states where I can simply purchase a point each year until I am ready to apply or a state where I don't have to put a ton of money down to apply, and am interested in pretty much any tag (deer, elk, antelope, mountain goat, moose, sheep)

If you know the costs of the points that would also be very helpful.

You have until April 5 to get points for CO. Gotta front the money, but nearly all of it comes back. I would suggest you get your deer, lope and elk points from WY. Cost is $40, $30 and $50. I don't think you can pick those up for a few months. Too late for UT, but I am not sure I would suggest anyone gets into that game at this point. Others would have better thoughts about AZ and NV.

Just a few quick thoughts and you should check me for accuracy.

Easiest in my opinon is Wyoming. You don't have to buy any sort of license first.
Elk - $50
Deer - $40
Antelope - $25 or $30..can't remember for sure.

Utah..buy a $65 license and then $10/species for points.

Nevada..buy a $150'ish license and then $15/species for points.

Colorado...front the tag costs and get refunded if you only want points. $25/point

Those are the ones I am most familiar with. I may be a couple of bucks off on a couple of those numbers but they are close, and most have some other minor non-refundable fees as well. Someone else feel free to correct me.

And if you play your cards right, you can actually use your Utah license two years instead of buying one every year. They are good for one year from date of purchase so you can apply two years on the same license.

I think they are going to change that from the skuttle i heard at the Expo this year but hasn't changed yet

Thanks for the info. I will probably get points for Wyoming and maybe Colorado. How soon can you get your refund in Colorado? can you completely opt out of the draw or do you wait till after?

UT/NV/AZ/WY are just about the only states with options to get a point without fronting the full tag fee to apply. But it will cost you $150-$300 in nonrefundable fees per state to apply points-only for a broad suite of species.

You are too late for a number of apps for this year.

a 1-year subscription to any one of several magazines that specailize in non resident hunt apps would be worth it if you 'get tired' or researching, as you mentioned. Concise and thorough info packaged up nicely that provide due dates, costs, how-to-apply, etc.

woming is only state for points only with no extra tag fees that i know,its too late for utah this year,colorado is full price then they refund all but $25 per species app later,most other states require a non-refundable non-resident hunting licence.

Thanks for the info. I will probably get points for Wyoming and maybe Colorado. How soon can you get your refund in Colorado? can you completely opt out of the draw or do you wait till after?

Seems like its generally mid June for refunds..............

be aware that it looks to me that you still have to pay full tag amount first,even just as a point only,then get a refund of the difference in colorado,still tying up alot of money.

You can buy points in Kansas the same way you can in Wyoming, although they aren`t as much of an advantage there.

You can buy points in Kansas the same way you can in Wyoming, although they aren`t as much of an advantage there.
I don't think points have been needed in KS for any unit for the last two years. FWIW...

Points can be bought in SD.

Back