Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Buy Now or Later — Tires

Mainer207

Alright, ladies and gents, I know tires come up enough on here, so I’m not going to ask your opinion on brands. I already know I’m going with the 265/70-16 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, anyway.
Instead, I need you to help convince myself and my old lady (she’s bringing me down on this one) that it’s worth spending the $ on new tires before the old ones wear out.
I recently purchased a ‘19 tacoma SR5 used with 7k miles on it. Already has the cap and I installed racks, but she’s looking a little sad with the 245 all seasons.
So far my best sales pitch to her is that we have a cabin on a steep two track in the mountains and these would help get us in before the snow melts and will be better during mud season. She’s smart enough to suggest $100 chains instead of $800 on tires and has me second guessing the decision.
So, what are you guys doing when you get new trucks?!

Attachments

• A257B55C-FFFB-419A-B5FF-427C18F57548.jpeg
    A257B55C-FFFB-419A-B5FF-427C18F57548.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 52
Depends on your everyday driving conditions now.
If you live were those street tires work and can get to paved road,wear them out 1st. If you can't get to paved road....well, that's different.
Looks like you got into that icy, slushy lot easy enough there.
Winter is almost done. Do they work at all in mud? Can you get some offset for the used tires on new choice,besides core deposit?
Are you sticking with same size or going way larger? Chains still fit new larger?
I wish I could still run Michelins on my Tacoma. Best ride overall and wear...but I could not get to my place at times 18 mi from paved road and the NM dirt roads just eat them up.

I'm wearing my stock tires out first. Trade in on the take-offs wasn't that impressive, and my reasons for upgrading tires are as much vanity as utility, so I'm holding off for now.

I have an 18 F150 and it came with michelins that were better suited for the highway. I ran them one winter and this last fall I purchased some good year wranglers, but kept the michelins and i plan on putting them back on this spring. it should help the good years last longer. The only thing that sucks is having to store one or the other.

I was gifted a pair of stock tires from a guy that upgraded his when he purchased a new truck. I ran those things for 3 years, and never had a problem. This was on an old truck that Had 215K miles on it and I didn't want to invest in expensive tires thinking I would either sell the truck or it would give out on me before I got my monies worth out of the new tires.

Well, it's a Toyota Tacoma, so it will always look sad... ;) However, if it were me, I'd run them through the summer and buy Duratracs when fall comes knocking. When I bought my truck, I made sure it had duratracs on it before I drove it home. Haggled it into the price!

Duratracs seem to be a little more prone to flats than some other tires I’ve used. I know a few others would agree with me. Good mud traction, and good in deep snow. A little mediocre on snowy hard pack highways.

I like to have a full set of spares for my vehicles. I bring a couple of extras on each trip I go on now. See if you can find a set of take-offs (lots of Tacoma guys like to lift and put fancier wheels on) for a decent price, then you can put your more aggressive tires on one set and use your current ones up outside of the hunting season. You can also bring a couple of the highway tires with you when you go out, they make better spares than what's bolted up under the bed.

Duratracs seem to be a little more prone to flats than some other tires I’ve used. I know a few others would agree with me. Good mud traction, and good in deep snow. A little mediocre on snowy hard pack highways.
Don't go jinxing me now! I've had mine for 2 years now and no issues. Only place I've had a bit of an issue was in a snowdrift that blew over the road and under the drift was ice. Otherwise I've had pretty good luck on snow covered/packed roads.

If they are P rated replace them right now. If they are LT rated and the tread design will keep you out of the ditch then I’d run them out. If the are LT rated and won’t keep you out of the ditch, replace them.

They’re P-rated. It’s tough to find LT tires in the size I’m looking for though. Might have to go Coopers instead of the wild peaks or try to fit a 265/75 on my stock ride.

Well, it's a Toyota Tacoma, so it will always look sad... ;) However, if it were me, I'd run them through the summer and buy Duratracs when fall comes knocking. When I bought my truck, I made sure it had duratracs on it before I drove it home. Haggled it into the price!

that’s a tough burn, man! Wish I had haggled that at the dealership, but I got a good price on the truck

I bought a new 4Runner TRD Offroad back in 2018. At the 10,000 mile service, I put on 4 Bilstein 5100 shocks(fronts set at 0.85" to level it) and stock sized BFG ATs. I sold my take off tires for $350, so that made it easier to swallow. Lol. I love the looks of it now.

Anyone tried running 265/75-16 on a stock Tacoma? Little worried it’ll crowd the wheel wells and rub when I’m off-road. 265/70-16 are hard to find in a C or E rated

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back