Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Buy American made?

I really don't care where a product is made. But then I don't have enough money to be choosy either! I've got three ABU casting reels, round ones. All over 30 yrs old and still working. But even though I had those over the years I have bought more casting reels for no other reason than I felt like it. My ABU's are all made in Sweeden but today I read where they are coming from China now and people are dising them. I somehow suspect that the reason is not because there's anything wrong with them but they are made in China. I don't have anything against the Chineese people, it's their government I don't like!

Always. On everything. Only exception is one car because they don’t make the version of it US. Made sure my truck came out of US plants.

My American products for hunting :

Nosler rifles
Leupold
Benchmade
Kennetrek

While yes some of the parts of these can come from overseas they are US Companies.
Kenetreks are made in Italy.

Kenetreks are made in Italy.
Yes but American company. Most all boots are made elsewhere. Virtually anything you buy will have a component made out of country. Could be the rubber, laces, eyelets, or most any other product. Sure I prefer 100% forged and grown in U.S. but it’s pretty hard. Next best is US owned company with US employees.

Two schools of though… buy American made for “patriotic” purposes or quality made. Countries like US, Germany, Japan, Italy have a reputation (not all companies) of higher quality, more skilled labor. The products are more expensive usually but the value lies in the usefulness, ruggedness, accuracy, what-have-you that defines the product. China on the other hand has the technical know-how but doesn’t give a damn about dumping crap on the world if the buyers demand a penny off they will give it by sacrificing something important. End result is even their higher end products are usually 95% decent than still a dumpster fire in the last 5% which could be a fastener, a seal, metallurgy, or anything that diminishes the product to a peice of crap. But by then it is out of their hands and on our shores and shortly in our landfills.

Leupold scopes… kennetrek boots….mystery ranch packs (american company & quality sewn abroad), U.S. made firearms (to the early 2000’s), Mathews, Black Widow bows, Hornady, Nosler, Toyota vehicles….U.S. grown produce….German optics, Japanese cameras…etc etc. You have to shop around for quality and expertise, but generally a “made in China” sticker does not inspire confidence, sadly.

Last edited:
I have 2 Redfield Revenge scopes, under the Leupold banner that were made in the Philipines.

Used to be the top tier glass was from Germany.
Now it seems to be from Japan.

Thanks to our trade practices and the endeavor to produce profits for the board, there are many US based companies that are manufactured overseas.

In the end in a global economy does it really matter? That's a question not a snarky comment.
My “buy American” philosophy is really better described as “avoid China”….but it doesn’t have quite the same ring. In my mind it does matter, but not for the reasons many people support this idea, which is keeping US Jobs. It is a global economy today, and I purchase (or don’t purchase) many products based solely on where they are made. China is not our friend…and we (the US Gov‘t and the US Consumer) have given them the economic power to become a global threat to most everything we stand for and value as a country. China is not our friend.

My “buy American” philosophy is really better described as “avoid China”….but it doesn’t have quite the same ring. In my mind it does matter, but not for the reasons many people support this idea, which is keeping US Jobs. It is a global economy today, and I purchase (or don’t purchase) many products based solely on where they are made. China is not our friend…and we (the US Gov‘t and the US Consumer) have given them the economic power to become a global threat to most everything we stand for and value as a country. China is not our friend.
I can see all the cheap plastic molded and terribly cheap steel products made in China being easier to avoid. On the other hand purchasing products that contain multiple pieces, manufactured all over the world, are much harder to discern where to say it was made. So for me personally I don't have time to waste looking at labels.

There are pretty much three types of glass in hunting optics: German glass (Zeiss, Swarovski, Meopta), Japanese glass (Nikon, Leupold, Vortex), and Chinese glass (Anything cheap). The startup cost to mass manufacture glass is just too high for any American company to start. The best you can do if you want it to be American made is to buy one of the brands that sources their glass from Japan or Germany and makes the housings and assembles their products in the United States.

I remember the B/L (Bosch Laumb sp?) optics lab was in Pasadena near JPL, with a store attached. Would have been early to mid 60's. I would look at the microscopes and marvel at the view through the Bushnell Binos. Plant was rebuilt post war with German workers who fled Germany. Made the best telescopes and glass at the time. I used Bushnell,Leupold,Zeiss and Steiner optics in the Navy.

My 1st binos were Bushnell from that lab. My 1st rifle scope was a Leupold. I now use Zeiss.
My Tacoma is more American than a Caddy. I have gone back to Lowa boots to get quality after wearing Danner & Redwings most of my life. Lucky most of my tools were made in America many years ago and still work. I would go thru the others yearly,except that 1st Makita cordless drill. I threw that out finally 3 years ago....30 years of use.

I am looking at Americanmadeclothes and Origin for jeans, shirts and boots now. Duluth has been a big disappointment recently. Ditched my Levis when they left the US, now it's wranglers made in china.....I am revolting against the open world market and using it to my advantage and against anything made in china.

In the end in a global economy does it really matter? That's a question not a snarky comment.
It does matter. Covid proves how we are screwed in a crisis trying to rely on other countries for masks, meds, chemicals. If we ever went to war with China we at this point will suffer from being cut off from supplies. We need to take more manufacturing back from other countries. Buying leupold is a good step verses buying something from another country. I always try to tell people to look at Leupold first for scopes. But spotters and Binos it's a buy the best bang for the buck since it's not USA made. It's a shame no one builds a US made binoculars anymore. Or even a fully assembled bino. I know a couple are taking mostly built chassis and then finish them with custom components but they still aren't assembled in the USA.

Are any of leupolds binos or spotters made here? I was under the impression they all were of third party Asian manufacturer with the Leupold name put on them
Anything with a Gold Ring on it is made in the US, which includes every rifle scope.

They are expanding capacity to meet rifle scope demand, but I doubt they will be able to compromise their rifle scope capacity to bring observation products back to the US. I know it is part of their long-term plan, but I wouldn't expect that to happen until they can satisfy rifle scope demand with domestic production.

Are there any binoculars that are actually made in America at this point?

Nope.

I'm pretty sure my Springfield rifle was American made. Not much was being imported from China or Japan during WWII. Most of its life that rifle wore a US made 3X Weaver scope but a few years back I upgraded to a Nikon 3x9 ... and paid the price when it crapped out in Africa. Good support though and it's held up fine since rebuild. I understand they are moving scope production back to Japan? I can't think of anything I use except ammo that isn't made overseas. It's a matter of availability. I'm torn between supporting local businesses that sell Asian stuff or ordering North American made on line.

Last edited:
Always. On everything. Only exception is one car because they don’t make the version of it US. Made sure my truck came out of US plants.

My American products for hunting :

Nosler rifles
Leupold
Benchmade
Kennetrek

While yes some of the parts of these can come from overseas they are US Companies.
Kentrek boots are not made in the US.

I am waiting for someone to write up their list of US made products on a phone/laptop/desk top computer made in the US with US components...we really have to pick and choose what is "US made" and are limited in those options.

The cold facts are international trade in 2021 is a very different animal than it was in the early 19th century. At that point, tariffs on some imported raw materials helped boost the American textile industry. US manufacturers have been sourcing products and parts from around the world for decades, and today it is nearly impossible — not to mention very expensive — for companies to separate themselves from a global supply chain. In the end, I am looking for quality at a price that I will pay or justify paying. Good optics are not cheap. I won't buy cheap optics. Other things will need to be passed on so I can get the good optics. Same for boots. I ice climb, and the Europeans have perfected technical, comfortable and warm alpine boots made for climbing. Same for ice tools -- Italian made.

A truly "American made" thing that is worth seeking out are local beers, wines, spirits. I like the fact that I can talk to the guy/gal who made the beer I am drinking.
Is Budweiser being owned by InBev, a Belgian company, less "US" because of it? There are odd mental gymnastics involved with a company on US dirt that is owned by a foreign company; does it pass the test? Lots of other examples...

I look at innovation, quality, durability, the company story, etc. before I even think of country of origin. I work with a lot of international companies/distributors in the outdoor world (Asian and European primarily) so when you get to know people on a personal level through business, that is what becomes important - how they are to work with, their drive, direction and skill, what we can learn from them, etc. Where it is made becomes irrelevant.

Just my two pesos.

It does matter. Covid proves how we are screwed in a crisis trying to rely on other countries for masks, meds, chemicals. If we ever went to war with China we at this point will suffer from being cut off from supplies. We need to take more manufacturing back from other countries. Buying leupold is a good step verses buying something from another country. I always try to tell people to look at Leupold first for scopes. But spotters and Binos it's a buy the best bang for the buck since it's not USA made. It's a shame no one builds a US made binoculars anymore. Or even a fully assembled bino. I know a couple are taking mostly built chassis and then finish them with custom components but they still aren't assembled in the USA.
According to Maven they are assembled in San Diego though they are building a bigger facility in Wyoming to try and bring as much as possible ‘in house’ into the state of Wyoming.

Definitely can be double checked but they are saying they are assembled here.

Does anyone try to buy “American made” products over a cheaper alternative? I get that most, if not all, high end binos are from the European area. Scopes seem to be manufactured from more different areas of the world.

Main point is I can’t stand buying anything that has anything to do with china. I get you can get quality items manufactured there that pass quality controls to meet certain standards. And by doing this, it greatly cuts costs to the buyer, but I still try to avoid it.

Am I the only one?

What’s your go to brand for whatever it is you like to buy/use?

Even when you buy China, those purchase support American economy in many ways.

But, yeah, so does buying European. And for glass, I'm more than happy to go that route or Leupold.

Yes but American company. Most all boots are made elsewhere. Virtually anything you buy will have a component made out of country. Could be the rubber, laces, eyelets, or most any other product. Sure I prefer 100% forged and grown in U.S. but it’s pretty hard. Next best is US owned company with US employees.

Same goes for Hoffman and Schnee mountain boots, though their pac boots are USA... and even Meindl and Zamberlan have US marketplaces now.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back