Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

butchering elk

oh hell. thought of one last question. tag is for area 7. anyone give me exact locations to go out and kill a cow. prefer one that is in the 2-3 year age group.:p

wonder if one of those big 2 wheeled carts would work to haul one of these out once you have it quartered? know it would take a couple trips minimum, but already have on of those that I bought for a previous hunt. holds 350 lbs., and thinking it MIGHT be easier on this old body?

I have never used one, however I wince every time I see one. I just imagine how difficult it must be to get them through a rocky area, over/around downfall, or up a steep grade. I could get an elk out in two slow trips on my back, but would rather make four trips with a pack than one trip with a cart...

any suggestions on how to skin this out, with the gutless method, if I want to save the head/hide for mounting?

When you skin the elk out for a cape using the gutless method, go up the inside of the front leg, back along the side of the belly, and then down the inside of the back leg. Go back to a spot about 8-10 inches from the front shoulder and make a cut up towards the spine (make sure to stay farther back than you think you need). Then make a cut along the center line of the spine to the base of the skull. You can then angle out to cut around the base of each antler and skin out the face or you can ignore that and cut into the base of the neck behind the skull, snap the head off, and let the taxidermist worry about the rest.

Here are a couple more links that i found...one video and one by pictures

http://elkmtngear.com/blog/how-to-field-dress-an-idaho-bull-elk-the-easy-way.html

http://www.bowhunting.net/artman/pu...ressing_and_Quartering_Elk_or_Whitetail.shtml

have gotten mixed reviews on burger, so will probably pass on that. may try some breakfast sausage though??

Don't pass on the burger! We usually only turn the back strap and tenderloin into steak, and then make all four quarters into burger....sometimes breakfast sausage if we have enough burger. Breakfast sausage has so much spice that it negates a lot of the meats flavor and makes even stinky muley bucks taste good. I think elk burger is by far the best...we usually use our deer/antelope for breakfast sausage/brats/pepper sticks and eat nothing but elk burger!

Tenderloins are pretty easy to get out. Use one hand to push down on the paunch and slide the other hand up between the paunch and the last rib. Feel for the tenderloin up against the spine and run your fingers between the spine and the tenderloin to break it loose. Once its spearated from the spine, reach in with both hands and cut each end with a small knife and you're done. I use my caping knife for the two cuts. You don't want to puncture the paunch or you loose a lot of the benefit of the gutless method. I haven't carried a bone in the past 11 years.

Another one for elk burger---It's great! On the cart deal---Unless you get it out on an open prairie or want to make a number of trips, I would not use a cart. Mine hasn't been used in 5 or 6 years and I find it much easier on my 65 year old body to carry the meat out on my back than try to cart it out. Just the hide alone on one of those big rascals is a lot of friggin weight!

You are right about the cart, whiskeydog. We took two elk out in one trip with a cart and my Army kid carrying a frame pack. It was a pain in the ass over the rocky areas with four of us doing it. Nothing but frame packs for me unless there is a good old logging road or something.

Eating a liver to me seems like eating a filter. No thanks. Eating a heart seems like some sort of satanic ritual. But on a serious note there always seems to be plenty of meat on an elk to where I never even considered eating the filter....er I mean liver, or heart.

I have a one wheeled game cart that I take with me. For elk I have quartered them using the gutless method, then packed them down a trail that I can use my game cart on. I have taken an entire quartered elk out this way and it seems to take less time and energy. Now the cart isn't what I would call cheap and I did have to build it, but so far it has paid for itself just in hunting last season.

I agree with shoot straight, best out whole but that has only happened 3 times for me. Other than that it's gutless all the way.

Eating a liver to me seems like eating a filter. No thanks. Eating a heart seems like some sort of satanic ritual. But on a serious note there always seems to be plenty of meat on an elk to where I never even considered eating the filter....er I mean liver, or heart.

...quit overthinkin', you're missing out on some tasty cuts..;)

Elk burger is awesome, I grind everything but the tenders and loins on the first animal of the year. I cut steaks out of the second one.

Last edited:
Gutless is the way to go, although I like leaving the leg bones in place to use as a handle and as leverage for packing out the meat. Since I process myself, I think it is best to leave as much as whole as possible to minimize waste. Most quarters can be packed out by putting a quarter over your shoulders and balancing the weight with the leg. I cut off the bottom of the leg.

Burger meat from the neck is trimmed off, backstraps are cut away and filets removed.

Also, the hard crust-like film over the meat protects from flies and dirt. When I process, this is trimmed off, so every time you cut a different piece, this should be trimmed (more waste). Of course it depends on how cold it is outside. Cooling the meat is utmost important. I don't like boning out and putting into a backpack or plastic sacks, this keeps the meat too warm if packing out takes awhile. A lot of times I keep a plastic sled to put 2 quarters on and bungee cord to secure and pull the sled. This works best on snow or smooth ground.

It's interesting that the leg bones on an elk only weigh about 20 lbs, so if you can use for leverage or keeping the meat more whole, it's best to do that. Last time elk hunting, we got 2 elk, my buddy tried the cut up and put in plastic bags in the cooler and I cooled the quarters off at night by hanging (34 degrees for the low). Much easier processing and better quality of meat by hanging and keeping as much whole as possible.

I keep some of the bones from elk and deer and antelope (if I'm close to home or where I'm goona butcher) to put in the smoker for my dog from time to time...he loves the treat

Look at the video. They are right up against the back bone. Start right behind the last rib and make an incision against the bone so as not to cut any gut. They are so tender you can pull them out with out a knife if you have to. Easy as pie. I met a gut on a lease near San Angelo who never took anything out of the body cavity cause it was all nasty. LMAO, what a dummy.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back