Butchering an Elk | YouTube video

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
We get so many requests about how to cut up your critter. It is very much a personal preference, so I've always hesitated to show "my way." So, I thought if I gave it the context to show how a commercial processor does it for one of their customers, with the caveat that it can be done differently than this customer wants it, the number of "Not how I do it" comments would be less.

So, if you cut your own elk, or if you take it to a processor, hopefully there is a tip or two in this video. Often times, folks take an elk to a processor and don't know what cuts to ask for, how much (if any) suet they want added, and don't know if they will get their own elk, or not.

Hopefully this adds a bit of insight and a few different perspectives that even the old hands will find helpful. Point is, whether you do it yourself or have a processor do it, there is no right or wrong, just personal preferences that are determined by how you intend to use the meat in the kitchen or on the grill.

Thanks to Buzz, Patty, and their crew for letting us impose.

I'll watch it tonight. I think it will be interesting from their point of view.

I didn't start hunting till late in life and my Father in Law really is the one that taught me to butcher a deer as we process our own meat, but he is very tedious about it. I later learned I didn't have to remove every spec of "not red meat" from the deer. Seeing how a butcher does it is definitely a good thing.

You still should show us how you do it though. At least then we can tell you how you do it wrong.

This was a good video. @Big Fin, did Buzz mention how long he prefers to hang/age elk before butchering?

This was a good video. @Big Fin, did Buzz mention how long he prefers to hang/age elk before butchering?

They don't have time to hang for aging. If you want it aged, you would have to do that in your own climate controlled situation, then bring it to them. When they get backed up with huge volume of animals, some will hang in lockers, but not for the purpose of aging, rather for the purpose of getting them stashed somewhere until the next shift can get to them.

Watched last night; good video! I appreciated the info about the different parts/cuts. E.g. I buy bottom round roasts often, but never really saw where it came from.

I'm guessing that big gray garbage can was for thrown away parts. Did they have a rule of thumb for what went into there instead of the trim trays? Other than silver skin and bloodshoot meat, of course.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back