Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Butcher paper??

wyoboypt

I got some “butcher” paper from the butcher to wrap my brisket. But it’s white. The butcher paper on the YouTube videos for smoking is usually brown. Is the paper I got the wrong paper?

Yes the Reynolds Wrap Butcher paper I buy is white. Shiny on one side, dull on the other. Have had meat wrapped in it for 18 months or so and it’s still good.

Also works well as a table covering when the kid wants to color.

I got some “butcher” paper from the butcher to wrap my brisket. But it’s white. The butcher paper on the YouTube videos for smoking is usually brown. Is the paper I got the wrong paper?

yes I usually get the un treated brown paper for smoking meats. That said, the white paper will work as long as its not plastic coated on one side. You can cheat and even use parchment paper that you can get in the market

Before I got the vacuum sealer we put meat in ziploc bags and then wrapped in butcher paper. Great protection.

Sounds like you got coated paper. Do not use it for smoking. For smoking you must have uncoated paper. A paper grocery bag has worked for me in the past. Nothing wrong with foil either

Just to clarify, this is for smoking, wrapping the meat in the paper and putting back on the smoker. Sorry I didn’t really make that very clear the first time.

I had no idea people smoked meat with paper on it. What's the idea behind that. Is it to keep it from drying out or something?

I had no idea people smoked meat with paper on it. What's the idea behind that. Is it to keep it from drying out or something?
You got it. And the "correct" (smokers just as fanatic about details as shooters) color is pink. And it's only added at "the stall" when temperature plateaus and the meat has absorbed all the smoke it can.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just wrap my brisket in foil when I hit the stall. I also then turn it over so the bottom side isn't exposed to the heat any longer coming up. I've had a few where the bottom side got a bit overcooked and dried out. Your smoker may differ.

Interesting. I've wrapped ribs in foil with a little beer poured in after it's been on a few hours, but I've never tried the paper. I'll have to look into that.

Gotta ask....Is paper better than foil? or is it just a less expensive alternative?

Paper retains heat to help get meat through the stall phase while smoking, but still allows the meat to breath and not sit in a bunch of juice and drippings which can impact the texture of the bark.

Yep, you want the pink, red or brown paper without a coating on one side. Sometime wrapping is not needed but as stated helps with the stall.
Post your results on the "what's on the smoker" thread.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back