Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Bush Panel Appointments

ELKCHSR

This is way to funny...The libs are really starting to whine for the fact that their junk scientists are finally gettin the oust from the lights and discarded as they should be...LMAO
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Science - Reuters

Scientists Question Bush Panel Appointments
Fri Jan 24, 5:31 PM ET Add Science - Reuters to My Yahoo!

By Maggie Fox, Health and Science Correspondent

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A growing number of scientists say President Bush (news - web sites)'s administration is distorting the scientific advisory process by appointing conservative ideologues to panels that are supposed to be impartial.

They fear the appointments are politically motivated and meant to delay decision-making affecting controversial areas such as the environment, abortion and workplace safety.

Administration officials say they are merely looking for diverse views and accuse the critics themselves of playing politics.

One potential appointee, marketing consultant and HIV (news - web sites) patient Jerry Thacker, withdrew his name on Thursday after wide media coverage of controversy surrounding his nomination.

Thacker, asked to serve on the Presidential Advisory Council on HIV/AIDS (news - web sites), was attacked by AIDS and gay rights groups for his characterization of HIV, the virus that causes AIDS, as a "gay plague" and homosexuality as a "deathstyle."

Thacker, who caught the virus from his wife, is an outspoken Christian who has written about his plight. White House spokesman Ari Fleischer (news - web sites) distanced Bush from Thacker, saying the president did not agree with Thacker's views.

Some researchers complain the Thacker case is an extreme example of an ongoing issue with the Bush administration.

"Science policy that affects public health should be above party politics, and seen to be so," the Lancet, one of the world's leading medical journals, said in an editorial. "Expert committees need to be filled, by definition, with experts."

Some of the controversial appointees have been evangelical Christians, but the Lancet said religion was not the issue.

"This is not to decry faith in medicine; the perfect role model is C. Everett Koop, U.S. surgeon-general (from) 1981 to 1989, a devout Christian, and who maintained credibility by remaining impartial, especially in sensitive areas such as women's health and AIDS," it said.

CONSULTANTS FOR INDUSTRY

One appointee cited by critics is Dr. William Banner, a professor of pediatrics and expert in toxicology at the University of Oklahoma who has also consulted for the lead industry in at least one lead injury lawsuit.

Dr. Lynn Goldman, a pediatrician and former assistant Environmental Protection Agency (news - web sites) administrator who is now a professor at Johns Hopkins University's school of public health, said consultants to industry regularly serve on panels, but she and others felt Banner had extreme views.

"Scientific advisory committees are a very important forum where people strip away their stakeholder consensuses," Goldman said. "If you attempt to pre-empt this process ... by selecting people who, ahead of time, have a very strong point of view ... then you are discrediting the process."

Dana Loomis, a professor at the University of North Carolina who chairs an occupational safety panel, complained in a letter to Massachusetts Senator Edward Kennedy that one new nominee to the panel, Laura Purnett of the University of Massachusetts, was rejected because she had publicly supported a workplace ergonomics standard that Bush repealed last year.

"Every administration makes political appointments. But the role of a scientific advisory committee is quite different," David Michaels, a former assistant energy secretary who teaches environmental health at George Washington University, told reporters this week.

Michaels said he saw "a consistent pattern of putting people in who assure the administration will hear what it wants to hear."

Another complaint surrounded Dr. David Hager, a professor of obstetrics and gynecology at the University of Kentucky, whose critics fear his open Christian beliefs will sway his decisions on birth control and abortion.

RELIGIOUS VIEWS AND JUDGMENT

"The concern is that someone like Dr. Hager, who is a respected OB/GYN ... is that he will allow his religious views to overcome his scientific judgment," Michaels said.

"They are afraid of him because he a public Christian," retorted HHS spokesman Bill Pierce. "He has publicly stated his beliefs in Christ and stated he believes prayer helps healing -- a very common idea. All they can knock is his Christianity. I don't know where that makes him unqualified."

The critics agree it is hard to show that such appointees will change the outcome of any panel's deliberations. "It is hard to draw the line and it is hard to find evidence," Michael admitted.

"It isn't that we object to having a variety of views in science," said Martin Apple, president of the Council of Scientific Society Presidents, who has worked in both science and industry. "It is that if we are seeking advice, it should be from the best possible quality of scientists who aren't carrying any other baggage with them."

Michaels said the goal is not to change the outcome of a committee's vote, but to tangle up the decision-making process. "What these committees will do now is essentially throw their hands up and say the science is uncertain," he said.

"That sort of paralysis is dangerous."

I've always considered that a scientist and or biologist should just stick to the facts. But both parties come up with ones that will slant the facts to fit the party in controls agenda. So I say that these new people are just puppets also. Get people in there with no agenda but pure facts without owing their jobs to the party in charge.

Anytime there is a political appointment, you can bet an agenda is being met.

I think some people see this, but the real problem is, theres a lot of people who only think the other side is crooked. I wont mention names....

If it was up to me, there would be no political appointments, corruption always follows on its heals. Whats wrong with the people voting in who THEY want. I dont trust any politicians, I have more faith in the power of the voters.

'Junk' scientists being replaced by more of the same. You don't think Bush would hedge his bet in favor on the oil industry would he?
rolleyes.gif

He may, but I think from what I have seen, all parties aside, and looking at the picture more as a whole, he will be more inclined to stay in an area where it will benefit the greater whole, and keep a good semblance of center, than the last president attempted to do!!!

Oh yeah, I forget that G.W. made his money as an environmentally friendly oil magnate. Wonder why the fuel efficiency of all new vehichles in the US in 2002 was the worse it's been since 1983?

Don't get me wrong, I think GW is a decent president, but he's made it clear that the environment is not very important. He was the lesser of the two evils in the last election, that is why me may have won.

Well I believe that with either one from the last election hunting areas would be closed. Gore would have stopped all access and with Bush allowing the extraction biz in they will stop all hunting in those areas for "safety reasons".
Does the extraction biz stop their extraxting so people can hunt? Do they do in it the off season?

Inquiring minds want to know
biggrin.gif

Extraction industries I have perosnally been around, have usually closed the gates, that are already there, and no one is limited to go in, all they have to do usually is walk, then some gates are open, after that for the people to go in and get fire wood. I have no reasons why they close the gates they do, except that these are garbage collection areas..I have seen truck loads of garbage dumped into a lot of these open areas. In Washington, and even here in Montana in the areas that the dump fees are free because it is the county tax payers that foot the garbage bill. I do know for a fact that there have been a lot of roads in the Anaconda area alone because of people dumping garbage....

I see, a couple roads 2 miles from Anaconda are shut down by Industry because people dump garbage, and thats the reason for most of the road closures?
rolleyes.gif

The two main reasons for Plum Creek closing roads is for cheaper maintainence and to keep the public from seeing how bad they slick all their land. The FS does it primarily in cooperation with the Fish and Game to enhance/protect wildlife.

Nut,I dont know about other States but here in Idaho,
A few years back they were going to start logging an area we had been hunting in for years (us and alot of other people)they needed to blast a road in at the top so they put up a road closed sign at the bottom (the only way in to this hunting spot & lots of camping)
We get there on a friday and see a number of trucks parked on the side of the road talking about this,all the guys decide it was a crock of chit ,its national forest land and if they wanted to log in fine but they werent going to just roll over to the logging company so they decided we would all go in together and stand our ground & see what happened LOL
The logging company pitched a fit,but no one budged ,so the company hired a flagger to stay on the road and stop trucks when they were ready to blast.
It worked out good.
Then a few years later during hunting season they put up signs that said YOU COULDNT DRIVE THE ROADS BETWEEN 6am AND 5PM SOMETHING LIKE THAT.Because of the logging trucks.
That wasnt such a big deal because most of the campers drove in ,in the dark and left camp before the loggers started work.But once in a while someone would miss the deadline and need to drive the road.
What we did (at that time we all had motorcycles) if we needed to drive between those hours we would shut off the machines and see if we could hear the trucks,then bust butt and ride back into camp.
The forest service cought on and started watching LOL so from camp to camp we all tryed to keep track of where they were.
One day steve and I just made it into camp and shut off the bikes when here comes the forest service.
They ended up nailing some people (along with a friend )and he went to court ,they lowered the price and as far as I remember the logging company hasnt tryed that in this area again.It was a $200.00 fine I think he ended up paying $50.00.
It was just a bunch of bull so the loggers could drive like hell and not have to think about others using the road.
Im pro logging (in most cases)but Im not into letting them shut public access off to do it.
On Boise Cascade Land ,I have seen them gate off access while they are logging,then open it back up to the public after.
I really dont know what the law is on public land about logging access.

We have camped and Hunted in areas with heavy logging going on,for the most part we havent had any problems (noise & Dust)during the week days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jon_G
Back