Caribou Gear

Bunny Buffalo Wings

RobertR

Shot some cottontails a few days ago and was thinking of a better way to cook them. I decided to cut them up and put them in the crockpot and sauce them up like buffalo wings and let me tell you they were tender and tasted great. Even so good that the father in law even liked the buffalo bunny wings haha.

I never fried them because rabbit is not real tender in the first place but it probably wouldn't make any difference being they were cooked in a slow cooker. You could also pressure cook the rabbit and sauce the rabbit after cooking but I like the sauce infused in the meat
It only took six hours in the crockpot and the meat was falling off the bones and was pork tender. As for a recipe you can use any bottled barbecue sauce you like and spice it mild or hot. Next time I'm going to use my recipe I use for chicken and pork ribs because it's hot with jalapeños and habanero peppers. If you need more volume to the sauce just add some ketchup and Worcestershire sauce to your liking.

My buddy said jackrabbits weren't worth eating, so I had to prove him wrong. So, I deboned the rabbits and made a spicy (with Frank's red hot) beer batter and deep fried them as nuggets and then dipped them in ranch for a dipping sauce. YUM!!

Last edited:
I never fried them because rabbit is not real tender in the first place but it probably wouldn't make any difference being they were cooked in a slow cooker. You could also pressure cook the rabbit and sauce the rabbit after cooking but I like the sauce infused in the meat
It only took six hours in the crockpot and the meat was falling off the bones and was pork tender. As for a recipe you can use any bottled barbecue sauce you like and spice it mild or hot. Next time I'm going to use my recipe I use for chicken and pork ribs because it's hot with jalapeños and habanero peppers. If you need more volume to the sauce just add some ketchup and Worcestershire sauce to your liking.
Guess it's a midwestern thing, but I can remember only a handful of times we didn't fry rabbits. And I grew up with a grandfather and dad who kept beagles for the sole purpose of hunting rabbits. Fry them like a chicken, then make milk gravy with the drippings. 'Twould be near the top of my meal requests for a last meal.

Back