Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Bullet Jump ?

BR-549

Okay, so I am switching to Barnes TTSX 150 gr 7mm Rem for this years elk hunt.

I am not an expert by any means, but I enjoy reloading.
I have always loaded my own elk ammo but never this particular bullet and I have read where the solid copper's like a little jump, or the guns do whichever. I believe they recommend starting at .050 from the lands. Correct me if I am wrong.

In the past I would use a spent cartridge with a bullet seated just enough to hold it straight and then close the action to find the OAL. Then I would seat the bullets just a hair deeper and always had good results.

So for the Barnes bullets, do I follow the same procedure and then seat it .050 deeper? Also, for the range I guess maybe load 5 at increments of .005 less (meaning .045....040 etc) until I find the setup that shoots best? I prefer not to have any accidents

Its getting that time of year that I need to get it done and off of my "to-do" list.

The standard "any information would be much appreciated" applies here.

Yes, measure your base to ogive using a dummy cartridge or something like a Hornady Lock N Load Comparator.

I've had tremendous success with the TTSX and LRX at .050. If you wanted to go shallower, make sure you start at the most shallow depth then work backwards seating deeper until you get to .050 and beyond.

Yes, measure your base to ogive using a dummy cartridge or something like a Hornady Lock N Load Comparator.

I've had tremendous success with the TTSX and LRX at .050. If you wanted to go shallower, make sure you start at the most shallow depth then work backwards seating deeper until you get to .050 and beyond.

^This ^

Barnes recommends starting at .050 and experimenting from there. I've read of some loaders getting best results at .100 and a few even deeper than that. Like all of them it's dependent on the gun to some extent, but further away rather than closer seems to be the norm as long as you don't get into pressure problems.

When I start load development.. I all ways start as long as the mag or clip will allow. There is only one way to go then. Witch is shorter into the case. Not every gun is the same.

Thanks fellas....I think I will order a Lock-N-Load Comparator and start my loads at the recommended .050..... seems to be the consensus.

I appreciate all of you taking the time to comment.

When I start load development.. I all ways start as long as the mag or clip will allow. There is only one way to go then. Witch is shorter into the case. Not every gun is the same.

Every gun I've loaded for I've had to just go with the longest length the magazine will allow and start there also.

If it's a factory gun, I'm guessing this will be the case.

If it's a factory gun, I'm guessing this will be the case.
Today 10:31 AM

2000 Remington BDL 7mm Rem Mag. - no mods.

Just for information.... I probably wouldn't change bullets except I was using a cache of Speer TBBC which I can no longer get. I have loaded Accubonds and Partitions and I have not been happy with groups. When I first started reloading in 2000 I was using SPBT 175 gr Sierra bullets but I was not happy with the performance after retrieving them. I really do not like much from Hornady in .284 in regard to bullet weights.

I have read good reviews on the Barnes TTSX and I like the idea of lead free bullets so here I am.

I bought 100 of them (150 gr) and they are readily available so nothing says I cant start with the longest length and work back. Who knows, maybe the first batch will shoot just fine.

At this point, time is still on my side. Plus I have a wealth of knowledge at my finger tips (right here) during testing.
I will follow up once I start shooting. Thanks again

I am kind of surprised that. U couldn't get the accubonds or partitions to shoot...

Me too... I have heard and read nothing but good things about both. I was loading 160 grain bullets. In fact, I bought them at Cabelas on the way home from Colorado after I found one of my Sierra bullets had fragmented. I would have to look at my notes for the powder I used etc.... but the groups I was shooting were worse than I care to admit.

Very well could have been something I was doing but instead of refining the loads, I ditched them and went with the Speer bullets. I had little trouble getting both TBBC and Deep Curls to shoot well.... both were also 160 Gr.

I would never say Nosler's are bad bullets because I know they are not. Just couldn't get them to shoot well in this particular gun. I am hoping I do not run into the same issues with the Barnes.... We shall see.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back