Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Bull Elk in Rut Meat

KayakMacGyver

Our family eats white tail year round as our primary source of red meat. Over the years, I've learned that we don't have the pallet for "rutty" buck meat. Even the smallest percentage mixed into a large batch of Doe or early season buck taints the overall flavor of whatever we're eating. So, these days all of our meat is strictly segregated when processing and if a buck shows any sign of rut (which can be July through February here in Florida), it goes into a separate pile and is usually given away to annoying co-workers so they'll stop asking me to give them some deer when I "catch" one. My sister and grandmother get most of it though as they actually PREFER the flavor. Ugh. Given that we prefer meat over antlers, I rarely shoot a buck between December and February unless it's an absolute stud and tend to stick with shooting doe to fill the freezer. I'm usually lucky enough to shoot enough during archery season so when December rolls around I'm looking for Muy Grande.

My experience with Elk meat is limited, but the memory of how it tastes is quite fond. I'm headed to CO this fall for an archery elk hunt during what should be the peak rut. I'm curious, does a rutty bull elk have an off flavor, best described as musky, to its meat?

For some, the taste of rutty deer meat is imperceptible or they just don't care. In my family's case, it's pretty offputting. My overall goal is to try and shoot a bull, but I've recently started debating my strategy based on the meat implications.

I think older large mule deer bucks have the most tainted meat from the rut when killed late season. All the Bull elk I have ever killed and eaten have been killed in October and all ate really good some a little tuffer than others. All the antelope I have killed or eaten have been harvested in october and they have been very very good eating.

In my opinion it is all about how you take care of your venison. I personally shoot all my game in early season, which is when both Elk and Antelope are rutting. My Wife and Daughter rifle hunt, so they take there Elk and Antelope outside of the rut and they take there mule deer in the rut or close too it. I personally think there is hardly a difference in Mule Deer and Elk that are rutting and not rutting. Antelope have a natural seasoning to them that I love and I prefer Antelope over any of the above venison. Now I totally disagree with 88man in that large mule deer bucks have the most tainted.... that here in Idaho is false. We have harvested 3 bucks over 170" smack dab in the middle of the rut, these bucks actually have been the best tasting of any mule deer we have shot. I have come to the conclusion an old mule deer buck is just as good. Good luck in CO.
Matt

In my opinion and experience there is no taste difference. I've shot a cow and a bull both in the peak of the rut in Sept and the bull tasted better simply because the temps were cooler (different state) and I struggled to get the cow out and processed in extreme heat.

All the bucks I've killed in Nov taste great, just a matter of field care, knowing what to touch, what not to touch, and when you need to clean you blade before continuing.

I agree with it all depends on how you take care of it after the shot. I have killed mule deer bucks that you could smell a mile away and they taste fantastic.

Do you age your deer for an extended amount of time before processing? Any cold storage?

I do, every deer is aged for 2 weeks minimum. I've tried every thing I can to prevent the offputting flavor of a rut buck to no avail. This includes gutting within minutes of the kill, removal of the tarsal glands etc. I've done alot of research on the topic and learned that rutty tasting meat is definitely a "thing" that can't be offset with preventative measures other than not shooting a buck in rut.

I agree with it all depends on how you take care of it after the shot. I have killed mule deer bucks that you could smell a mile away and they taste fantastic.

Agree, I've harvested muley bucks from Sept to Nov and they all pretty much tasted the same, same with bull elk Aug to late October.

That being said, I would fail the pepsi challenge of elk v. grass fed beef from my wife's ranch. My wife on the other hand can tell which is which when I use it to make spaghetti and meatballs even though they have been made into Italian sausage with fat added and using the same spice blend.

Are you aging on the bone, in Florida with cold storage what temperature are you at. Different climates and food source, I'm genuinely curious. During your rutting bucks, are they changing food source? I've heard this discussion before, The only difference I have known is that so many people do not age animals. They are under the impression get it to the butcher asap. A lot of that is due to time frame for some and traveling restrictions on having it cut up to put it on a plane. Some people have never thought of aging it, and think I'm crazy aging mine.

I agree with above, on it's all how it's taken care of. I have a friend that bones out his elk by the individual muscle at the kill site so it cools 'faster' according to him and freezes it with freezer/generator as soon as back to base camp. Cuts it up at home as soon as he can get it thawed. This is in the rut during September in Idaho. He's always done it this way. It tastes different to me personally and I am not a fan of his elk. My elk, I take it out bone in quarters and age it for 7-10 days at least and let it crust up. - there is a complete taste difference in my opinion. Extra weight is extra weight on the pack out, and for the aging process it's what I prefer.

I've been taught this way since I was old enough to walk on my own and tag along on hunts. It could be I'm brain washed by grandparents and relatives, to where if this process isn't done it tastes different. Who knows?

Everyone has different opinions. I killed my bull on the equinox last year and he tasted great. 16 days of aging in total. Best way to find out is to try it yourself.

Last edited:
I personally have never tasted bad elk...
I've got bull elk meat in my freezer now.. 2 from Sept, 1 from Oct, 1 from Nov, mix of taken by me or packing out for buddy's whom shared. I was present at all kills. I agree with the theory it's meat care.

I would recommend reading some of Hank Shaw's books and listening to him on one of the many podcasts he has been on. He does a great job of explaining what to do right with game.

Seems everyone has their own tastes.
I shot my bull during the rut and there was no bad smell or taste to it. My brother has shot a couple of bulls in AZ during the rut and they tasted a little different. Maybe it was the difference in what they were eating. They did not taste bad or off just a little different.
Now rutty mule deer bucks are a different story. The few I have taken during the rut were simply inedible. I don't care what you do like soaking in buttermilk or salt water or whatever other remedy there is out there, the meat is just awful.
You can smell them when you walk up to them, you can smell it in their blood and the smell stays on your hands even after you wash them a couple of times.

Now rutty mule deer bucks are a different story. The few I have taken during the rut were simply inedible.
Not saying your wrong but a good hunting friend of mine who is 70 years young and has killed more muleys than whoda thunk it, told me the same thing. He was with me when I killed my first mule deer buck and asked if I wanted to donate the meat. I told him that I was going to eat it. My wife said it tasted better than our grain fed Hoosier deer. I can still smell the rut stink on the mount.

My last two buck STANK bad, but the meat was delicious. But my mom did think they had a stronger taste. Maybe me tasters aren't that good.

Not saying your wrong but a good hunting friend of mine who is 70 years young and has killed more muleys than whoda thunk it, told me the same thing. He was with me when I killed my first mule deer buck and asked if I wanted to donate the meat. I told him that I was going to eat it. My wife said it tasted better than our grain fed Hoosier deer. I can still smell the rut stink on the mount.

So I guess I shouldn't believe what I taste and smell? I know bad when I taste it.
Like I said everyone has their own tastes, perhaps venison that tastes nasty to me would be delicious to you.

Last edited:
In my opinion it is all about how you take care of your venison. I personally shoot all my game in early season, which is when both Elk and Antelope are rutting. My Wife and Daughter rifle hunt, so they take there Elk and Antelope outside of the rut and they take there mule deer in the rut or close too it. I personally think there is hardly a difference in Mule Deer and Elk that are rutting and not rutting. Antelope have a natural seasoning to them that I love and I prefer Antelope over any of the above venison. Now I totally disagree with 88man in that large mule deer bucks have the most tainted.... that here in Idaho is false. We have harvested 3 bucks over 170" smack dab in the middle of the rut, these bucks actually have been the best tasting of any mule deer we have shot. I have come to the conclusion an old mule deer buck is just as good. Good luck in CO.
Matt

Same here.

Caveat is all of my venison over the last 5 years come from Iowa. We have hilled deer from Mid September (youth season) all the way to Christmas. We have killed does up to large bucks. In the last 5 years we have killed over 25 deer. I cant tell you the last time we had a bad one. I have had times where I have eaten gamey deer but not in a long time. Iowa deer eat mostly corn and beans so that helps but I also am anal in how I take care of my meat from the time it hits the ground.

I do, every deer is aged for 2 weeks minimum. I've tried every thing I can to prevent the offputting flavor of a rut buck to no avail. This includes gutting within minutes of the kill, removal of the tarsal glands etc. I've done alot of research on the topic and learned that rutty tasting meat is definitely a "thing" that can't be offset with preventative measures other than not shooting a buck in rut.

It must be a Florida thing. We have killed some really rutted up whitetails in late November and nobody has ever noticed any gamey taste. Just had steaks off a buck from last November and it was succulent!

Rutting bulls taste just like cow elk to me too. Never noticed any flavor difference but the bulls are usually tougher.

The two bulls I've killed during the rut were both excellent - one was a raghorn and the other was a mature heavy-antlered bull. No difference in flavor - despite an unfortunate poor shot on the bigger bull. They were hung in the woods for 24 and 48 hours, respectively, hours and then packed in ice for several days as I butchered them.

I rarely have ANY game meat that is off flavor or "gamey". People say old bucks, bulls, and antelope can have many different flavors...and most aren't good. I guess I disagree with most of that talk. The antelope I got last year was some of the best game meat I have ever eaten and that thing smelled like an old towel soaked in bad cologne and dipped in an outhouse for a week. So whats the deal? One thing I do, without exceptions, is skin my animals almost immediately! Guys. For the most part its the HYDE that smells. We had our antelope skinned 10-15 mins after we shot them and it was a very cool morning. The meat was immediately cooled. Some of the best meat I have ever eaten! Imagine taking that same towel I mentioned above....and wrapping it around a prime rib roast (the best you can buy) for 3-4 hours....and then complaining about how bad prime rib tastes after you cooked it. Carry a large piece of painters plastic in your bag. Immediately after you get pics taken, skin your animal and get the meat off the caracas and away from the smelly parts....and it will taste a TON better. Now I realize every state has different rules so do whats legal too. I also realize some animals have a stronger flavor then others but if your meat tastes "bad" you are probably doing something wrong or conditions didn't allow for proper care of the meat after the shot. Just my thoughts.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back