Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Bull Elk in Rut Meat

I’ve had a lot! Of elk. The fact that a bull is in rut makes absolutely no flavor difference. Even old elk has good flavor but they’re tougher. More silver skin in the meat. The flavor has always been awesome growing up and until now.

I believe that animals having a rutty taste is #fakenews haha. I killed a buck that I watched mount a doe (let him go out with a smile on his face) and he was just as good as the doe my wife shot in early October. Comparing antelope just isn't fair because those suckers are just dang good! A bull elk in September though will taste fantastic. The absolute worst tasting animal I have had has been from cow elk killed in December and January, I just think that in the winter with feed being scarce and they are burning a lot of fat to survive and such that the meat quality isn't as good. The absolute best is a elk killed in the early season eating lush green grass.

Something to think about is are you getting YOUR animal back from the butcher? If you butcher it yourself then you know. I used a well known local butcher probably a dozen times and they guarantee you get your animal and only your animal. Well that is until I caught them stuffing my cardboard box with a little of this shelf and little of that shelf. Now I know why some deer just taste like butt warmed over from that butcher Its simply not the animal that I dropped off. I take great care to immediately skin and make sure no hair or dirt gets on them. I have had some bad tasting deer. Never had bad tasting antelope as that is my favorite.
Bull elk can be tough but all my cows and bulls have been very good compared to deer.
I did have a bad experience field prepping a few elk and they tasted fine. My dad and I filled both our cow elk tags at the same time in 90 degree heat. They were both gut shot and we didn't even start gutting the second one for an hour or two as I could only push my old man so fast. In that heat the facia layer under the skin begins to bubble and stays tacky rather than dries out when its cold. No smell. Tossed them in the back of the jeep with a/c on for the 2 hour drive to the butcher. We kept them clean but did everything else wrong and they tasted fine. Not same butcher as above. Don't judge. It was only our send elk hunt and we learned we didn't want to do that again but still a great experience.

I would imagine most animals taste a little different and that most humans tastebuds are a little different also. There is no right answer but just preferences.

I’ve never had a rutted mule deer buck that I could eat. My dad thought I was lying to him and shot one and laughed about how he had all this great venison and I had none. Then he cooked some and I was the one laughing. He had it ground up into summer sausage and other stuff. And I don’t hunt mule deer for that reason, if I can’t eat it, I won’t shoot it

I have never noticed a difference between cow elk and bull elk, regardless of whether the rut is active, post-rut, or late season.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Openseason44
Back