Caribou Gear Tarp

Bull Elk Charges Two in Yellowstone

Elkhunter

YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK, Wyo. (AP) - A bull elk charged and injured two people, including a tourist who took a flash photograph of the animal from less than 10 feet away.

The 60-year-old Texas man was stuck by the elk's antlers Sunday at Mammoth Hot Springs, a popular area in Yellowstone National Park. He received cuts and bruises to his head, hands and chest, officials said Wednesday.

The man, whose name was not disclosed, had walked up to the elk, took his picture and then turned his back and began to walk away, officials said. The startled bull put its head down and charged the visitor, who turned around just in time to be gored.

Later in the day, a National Park Service employee leaving a building was charged by the same bull and suffered bruises and strained muscles.

The elk also damaged six cars, adding to six it had previously attacked. Damage to the vehicles was estimated at $12,000 to $15,000.

Because the elk was threatening the safety of visitors and employees, park managers tranquilized it and removed its antlers before letting it loose.

Yellowstone rules require people to stay at least 25 yards from elk, bison and other large animals, and at least 100 yards from bears.

Sounds like the guy with the camera got what he deserved. On my way back from my deer hunt, I traveled through Yellowstone. I watched a nice bull being pushed through the woods by a gaggle (I think that is a lot) of idiots with cameras. Apparently a shot at 50 yards is not good enough, you need to be at 10'. :rolleyes:

Here he is. This old ranger told me to stay back and I was like ,"Yeah sure old man, I've been trying to spear one of these SOB's for the last 4 days, I'm getting as close as I dam well want!" (thats what I said in my head, but of course, I was a good boy and stayed back!) Lucky for me I guess.

mamothbulx2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back