Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Bull elk bedroom from year to year

starvingoutdoorsman

If you found a bulls bedroom on accident one year, with lots of beds, tons of rubs, all in about 500 yards along a bench, would it be a safe bet that you could find him there the next year if he made it through the year? I want to position myself so I catch him moving from point A to point B. But curious if they switch it up often of use the same spot.

Assuming said bench is high up on a hillside with forage and water nearby my guess is for sure the elk will be there. They'll continually seek sanctuary where they feel safe, a bench high on a hill in the thick stuff is an area they will keep going back to year after year.

Assuming said bench is high up on a hillside with forage and water nearby my guess is for sure the elk will be there. They'll continually seek sanctuary where they feel safe, a bench high on a hill in the thick stuff is an area they will keep going back to year after year.

Agreed,with one little note. It is pretty safe to Say that ELK will be there, I'm not so sure I could guarantee the same bull rutting there next year.

Elk there=Yes
Same exact bull as was there last year= Maybe...?
Worth hunting that spot=ABSOLUTELY

To best describe the spot it was a spot I felt very unlikely would hold an elk until we jumped one from its bed. It is on a north facing slope maybe 150-200 yards up from a walk in trail and maybe 300-400 yards up the trail from the head of it. I could hear people on 4 wheelers. I bumped it on the far east side of where we found the beds and rubs. I went back later that night and found fresh wet spots in the middle of a main trail on the west side. Water seemed to be scarce where I found him unless he ventured miles onto private to some ponds or very close to where I camped. Unless there was something farther east. Ill have to check some sat images tonight.

Yes, they should be back year after year. Of course, depending where you are at, predators play a big role also these days. We hunt a bench where the elk use it year after year during Sept. We had a wolf pack and a Grizzly on the same bench this last fall. Very few elk stayed around. Maybe this year will be different. Had a encounter with the grizz. with my 12 year old son. That's another story. Good luck, it pays to hunt the same area year after year, and get to know there patterns.

To best describe the spot it was a spot I felt very unlikely would hold an elk until we jumped one from its bed.

Sounds like you hit pay dirt. Good luck.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back