Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Building preference points for youth

Changing the point systems is a bigger joke than the systems themselves.

I agree with others that the best system is no point system at all...should have thought about that before implementing the point system.

Kind of late to drain the swamp once you're up to your ass in alligators....or in this case bonus/preference points and the systems. May be even more unfair to change them mid-stream.

I dont like the systems, but I'd be pissed if my points were NOW worth nothing.

There are no easy answers...and I dont think point systems are going away. I also dont see point systems that take your points regardless of what tag you hunt with. States like Wyoming would be swimming in un-issued permits. That aint good for G&F revenue and it wont happen simply from a revenue standpoint. Wyoming has a pile of un-issued permits each year already, cant imagine how many more would be unissued if you lost points for any tag.

I have over 250 points accumulated and agree I'd rather see all states scrap the points and go random. Can't think of one state that hasn't sold these points without later going back, changing the rules to cheapen them, or extort holders for more $$$ in an effort to get more sales and profit. If you or I tried to do that we'd be thrown in jail.

Examples are: Utah slashing NR quotas in favor of auction/raffle tags after points were sold; Colorado slashing NR quotas in demand units after points were sold; and the ultimate point cheapeners............Maine's multiple 10 point packs for newbies!

Since Maine adopted that scam my odds with 10+ points went from 1/80 to 1/500, despite having more points each year. Thanks Maine. You guys are swell. :W:

"I agree with others that the best system is no point system at all...should have thought about that before implementing the point system. "

They did, and everybody bitched because they wanted to know they would "get to hunt at some point in time". That has since morphed into "get to hunt the states best unit".
The NM guys are whining right now about wanting a points system. When they get one, they'll whine they can't draw a Gila tag "every few years" and something has to be done.
It's the same argument every year. "I can't draw a tag" but when you cut thru the fat, it's "I can't draw the tag I want".

I disagree, most didnt think it through or they would have realized what was going to happen....it isnt rocket science. If anyone thought a point system would get them their choice of tags anytime soon with draw odds exceeding 30-40:1...they were living in a dream, even if they were on the ground floor of point systems. I cant help it if people dont understand basic statistics BEFORE they start a point system.

I'd hate to have a point system for elk, deer, and antelope in Wyoming for residents and I'll do all I can to see it never happens.

The states that dont have them, would be well advised to not implement them, or at the very least understand what the system will cause.

Its a mess, but a smart hunter can still get some quality hunts if you play the game right.

We have nearly 20 years worth of point system data to look at, yet there is a large faction in NM that thinks points are the only way to go, unfortunately.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ak2021
Back