Yeti GOBOX Collection

Building an AR, lower receiver recommendations?

daltrix99

Hi all, wondering if any of you have really strong opinions for lower AR receivers, either complete or 80%? I am building my first AR, and I have everything picked out except this part. I have done plenty of reading and know what to look for, mostly looking for manufacturer recommendations here. I'm not too worried about price, as most of them seem to be between $60 and $200. Thank you!

I’ve built several AR’s. For me, the cheap lowers work just as well as the expensive ones, as long as all tolerances are within spec. So far I’ve never had one out of spec. PSA and Anderson Arms have been my go to lowers the last few years. Find the best deal and spend the money saved on ammo.

They're all the same unless you dive into custom, lightweight, skeletonized, or whatever actions. Snag a Palmetto State when on sale...sometimes they have funny logos on them.

To me an 80% lower is a waste of my time when you can buy 2 packs of stripped lowers for less than $75 and pay a $15 transfer fee and not have to hope my drill press was doing a good job.

Both of these replies confirm much of what I've read. Looking at PSA and Aero. Thanks guys!

Out of the two brands I use Aero for a lot of builds. But basically the lower is just holding parts in place. The only brand I've had out of spec is Anderson.
Now if you are going to do an Ar10 its a whole other deal.

Aero or Rock River. Used a lot of the RR. Between my son and I, we’ve built 30+. He’s better than me, that’s why he’s building my SOCOM upper!

Like others have said you won't find much difference in the forged or cast lowers, its when you get into billet lowers you will see a difference, and if one was going that route, I would recommend getting one with a matching billet upper that machined together. IMO the trigger is one of the crucial components for accuracy. The standard mill spec trigger is garbage. A $30 polished trigger is way better then the mil spec one that comes in most lower part kits. I have switched all mine to Rise armament drop in's.

Good luck with your built

I run/ran velocity triggers in mine. Only have one now. Would like to build another for a varmint rifle... Wife says no.

I know this isn't a trigger thread but since it's heading that way. I've run a Velocity trigger and enjoyed it. I've moved over to Larue's MBT 2 stage which is very high quality especially for the price.

As far as lowers I've used an Anderson with no problem but that's not everyone's experience. If I were getting another new one I'd probably grab an Aero.

I built and milled a poly lower. It functioned, but it just didn't feel right. Something about having a core piece of my firearm being plastic didn't suit me.

I too plan on building an AR-15 in .223, mostly for predator hunting/coyote hunting and some target fun. So at least an 18 in most likely a 20 inch barrel. But like most I should start on a lower, probably go with one from PSA. But I am a left handed shooter (left eye dominate, but right handed) so I need ambi controls and the correct lower to accommodate that feature without spending more than $100 on one, preferably close to $50 or $60. Good luck on your build, I too look forward to seeing some finished pics.

I would look into Sons of Liberty Gun Works. Their customer service and knowledge of the platform is top notch.

Back