MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Building an AR, lower receiver recommendations?

The lower is the least interesting part of the AR build process. And of course the most important part of the rifle.

Unless you're very handy, I wouldn't mess with an 80% build. It saves no money and could be a major frustration. A trip to Cabelas or Bass Pro, $50, 15 mins gets you an Anderson milspec lower which works perfectly.

For your first build, just get something cheap. Learn the process and learn what you like. Then deck out a Gucci rifle later if you want.

I like all the basic milspec lower parts, except I always upgrade the trigger. For $80, you can get a LaRue MBT which is one of the best triggers money can buy.

I also like upgrading (of all things) the end plate. It's a very convenient place for a QD. Installing the end plate and castle nut are a good way to lose springs and detents. You can get some end plates and castle nuts have really nice assembly features to prevent such frustration.

Building a lower is really easy. If you want to make it even easier, get some good roll pin punches and an assembly block. The hardest part is installing the bolt catch without scratching the lower. A little electrical/gaffers tape helps.

Good luck. Keep us posted on progress

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back