Buffalo Hunt Raffle

Anyone know if the odds are going to be posted when it's done?

Since its restricted to Residents only the odds cant be more then 400,000 to 1 assuming that many residents even qualified. Age, criminal record etc. They'll probably sell about 90k. The Feds just culled about 600 bison off the Yellowstone herd but had paid gubmint sharpshooters do the deed. That needs to stop and be put up for a draw to all US residents who want such an opportunity. Now that's an issue the membership here should lobby for. (y)

Since its restricted to Residents only the odds cant be more then 400,000 to 1 assuming that many residents even qualified. Age, criminal record etc. They'll probably sell about 90k. The Feds just culled about 600 bison off the Yellowstone herd but had paid gubmint sharpshooters do the deed. That needs to stop and be put up for a draw to all US residents who want such an opportunity. Now that's an issue the membership here should lobby for. (y)
This is something that I’ve been thinking about/hoping for years. If common sense was the driving force behind the decision, it would be very doable. And... the unbelievable bison hunts that could be offered. Can you imagine drawing the Lamar tag or the Blacktail tag or the Hayden Valley tag??? It would be unreal. BUT.... like all things that come up with an uber-iconic piece of public real estate like Yellowstone... politics get inserted really fast. It’ll never happen. Too many people would absolutely lose their minds. Too many political/public hurdles to clear. It’s a bummer because it would be cool, and it could work if people would strip the emotional fever out of the objections. But it’ll never happen.

Last edited:
The Feds just culled about 600 bison off the Yellowstone herd but had paid gubmint sharpshooters do the deed. That needs to stop and be put up for a draw to all US residents who want such an opportunity. Now that's an issue the membership here should lobby for. (y)

I could get behind that. 👍

This is something that I’ve been thinking about/hoping for years. If common sense was the driving force behind the decision, it would be very doable. And... the unbelievable bison hunts that could be offered. Can you imagine drawing the Lamar tag or the Blacktail tag or the Hayden Valley tag??? It would be unreal. BUT.... like all things that come up with an uber-iconic piece of public real estate like Yellowstone... politics get inserted really fast. It’ll never happen. Too many people would absolutely lose their minds. Too many political/public hurdles to clear. It’s a bummer because it would be cool, and it could work if people would strip the emotional fever out of the objections. But it’ll never happen.

We need more hippies getting gored in there.

I disagree. I think that it should be kept as it is, for now. Only, revise with an extra one or two tags to give Non-residents a crack at it. But, a $10 fee for Non-residents is a pipe dream.

Was this in Yellowstone or on the northern border, out of the park? I would like to read the account, if you can post it.

ClearCreek

Was this in Yellowstone or on the northern border, out of the park? I would like to read the account, if you can post it.

ClearCreek

Lots of info on the web. These bison are the property of all the people of the US and the opportunity to hunt them needs to be available to all, not just Indians. We pay for them so....

What I am after is a more equitable system. It ought not be one person drawing almost every year but another putting in every year and drawing only every 3-5 years.

Same unit? For sure, know as a fact an applicant sort of maybe almost drew a tag each of or most of the five years? I hear lots of hunters relay in conversations that they heard Jim always draws a bull elk tag and they don’t. Rarely apples to apples. The “lucky” guy is actually putting for post-rut archery hunt that is 1 in 2 odds while the “unlucky” guy is chasing the muzzleloader rut tag with 1 in 80 odds. Choose wisely.

Lots of info on the web. These bison are the property of all the people of the US and the opportunity to hunt them needs to be available to all, not just Indians. We pay for them so....

azelkhntr:

In your post dated 7/9/2020 (post #21 in this thread) you said, "The Feds just culled about 600 bison off the Yellowstone herd but had paid gubmint sharpshooters do the deed,"

Then you provided a couple articles that talked about culling of bison from the Yellowstone herd, but NOWHERE in those articles does it say anything about "paid gubmint sharpshooters". In fact, there were no government paid sharpshooters doing the killing of bison. Members of certain Native America Tribes are allowed to shoot the bison when they leave Yellowstone.

I totally agree with your point that it would be a good idea to allow all hunters an opportunity to shoot a bison.

However, when the bison leave Yellowstone National Park when they go north, they then enter Montana, so the State of Montana would be responsible for issuing licenses. I believe that was tried some years ago but it did not work out well.

ClearCreek

The MT hunt just north of Gardiner is more of a slaughter than a hunt. Not expressing an opinion of whether it’s right or wrong, just that I wouldn’t really classify it as fair chase hunting.

The MT hunt just north of Gardiner is more of a slaughter than a hunt. Not expressing an opinion of whether it’s right or wrong, just that I wouldn’t really classify it as fair chase hunting.

Its definitely a meat hunt for the purpose of livestock protection and its in winter. Fair chase and Bison doesn't really apply i suppose. You can walk right up to them. Dumb as rocks and blind so...

Back