PEAX Equipment

Budget Binoculars

Diamondback HDs are pretty good. Just bought a pair earlier this season. I got the 10x50s and they're great in low light. Try them out and compare them to the high end optics. They're a good bang for your buck. Warranty can't be beat either.

My dad had an old pair of Diamondbacks that he sent in for a new eyecup. They sent him the current version of the Diamondbacks back, and I was impressed. Especially for what you can pick them up for.

I think I'd put them right up with the Maven C3 Leupold BX3 I owned.

And I am definitely not a Vortex fan.

My dad had an old pair of Diamondbacks that he sent in for a new eyecup. They sent him the current version of the Diamondbacks back, and I was impressed. Especially for what you can pick them up for.

I think I'd put them right up with the Maven C3 Leupold BX3 I owned.

And I am definitely not a Vortex fan.

Agree with this. Really good bang for your buck if you are not willing to up the budget. I carry a pair in my truck at all times.

Alright so stay away from diamondbacks unless they’re the HDs. Anyone know what the Theron Wapitis go for? Preferably both versions, I need to message Schmalts but figured I’d ask here as well

Alright so stay away from diamondbacks unless they’re the HDs. Anyone know what the Theron Wapitis go for? Preferably both versions, I need to message Schmalts but figured I’d ask here as well

Best bet is msg Pat....should get a timely reply.

I have always been a fan of Vortex and know quite a few people with diamondbacks. Last year a guy I knew picked up some Leupold BX-1’s and the diamondbacks don’t hold a candle in the wind compared to them. I’d go with the BX-1’s long before a pair of diamondbacks. I’ve also heard some really good things about Maven but haven’t ever looked through any.

I bought the Wapiti's a couple moths ago. They were in the $140-$150 range. Very good glass for the price. I've used Swaro slc's for close to 30 years and I hunt with those but if I had to use the Wapiti's I wouldn't think twice about it.

My son had a pair of the older Diamondbacks and they were pretty good, then he won a pair of the Diamondback HD binos and I thought there was a noticeable improvement. IMO, the new Diamondbacks are nice binos. I think optics have a personal fit as well, try to go somewhere where you can look through a few pairs in your price range.
Guy at cabelas told me difference between vortex ones they had on sale for $129 and ones for $229 and 500. The clearance were old model that had cheaper glass the 229 were the new glass they run on 500 model and you got a chest bino case that are like $75. I almost returned the $129 pair but they are for kids so kept and will just get the current model for me when have trip. I think they compare to my nikon pair that was 799.99.

I really like the Vortex Diamondback 12x binos. I've used them for about 3 years now and the little extra magnification over the 10x seems to help.

I have always been a fan of Vortex and know quite a few people with diamondbacks. Last year a guy I knew picked up some Leupold BX-1’s and the diamondbacks don’t hold a candle in the wind compared to them. I’d go with the BX-1’s long before a pair of diamondbacks. I’ve also heard some really good things about Maven but haven’t ever looked through any.

Any experience with the BX-2 Acadias?

I may have to suck it up and order a few different pairs to give them a try. It seems like I’ve heard good and bad opinions on just about every pair out there except the Therons

Any experience with the BX-2 Acadias?

I may have to suck it up and order a few different pairs to give them a try. It seems like I’ve heard good and bad opinions on just about every pair out there except the Therons
No experience with the BX-2’s.... nor do I have any experience with the Therons. Have you gone down to the local sportsman’s or cabelas? Ask the glass guy if you can take a couple pairs outside to compare side by side.

For $155 on Amazon, the Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 10x42 are a GREAT value. They are my back up truck binoculars and got ones for the whole family in advance of our African safari. Dollar for dollar they are one of the top options in my opinion.

Last edited:
No I haven’t had the chance to get down to Bass Pro (closest and best I’ve got) but I’ll have to. It seems that glass is a very personal opinion. I almost wish there weren’t so many options.

No I haven’t had the chance to get down to Bass Pro (closest and best I’ve got) but I’ll have to. It seems that glass is a very personal opinion. I almost wish there weren’t so many options.
I know I'm a little late on replying to this thread...not sure if you bought your binos yet. +1 for the Therons and for Schmalts - he's extremely helpful. I use Theron Questas and love them.

For $155 on Amazon, the Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 10x42 are a GREAT value. They are my back up truck binoculars and got ones for the whole family in advance of our African safari. Dollar for dollar they are one of the top options in my opinion.
I have a pair of these as well, great glass for the money.

Of all corners to cut, this is the last. Trim on beer or gas. For a $341 tag, you should be able to afford nicer glass! Trust me, if you think this is something that may turn into a ritual, it's not worth it. Buy what you'll want in five years! You will waste money by continuously upgrading.

Of all corners to cut, this is the last. Trim on beer or gas. For a $341 tag, you should be able to afford nicer glass! Trust me, if you think this is something that may turn into a ritual, it's not worth it. Buy what you'll want in five years! You will waste money by continuously upgrading.

What do you suggest then?

And definitely not too late. I take forever to make a decision and pull the trigger on something lol

What do you suggest then?

And definitely not too late. I take forever to make a decision and pull the trigger on something lol
When I first started, I knew Prairie hunting would be an addiction. So I bought the best Leupolds I could buy. Back then they made BX-3 Mojaves. I absolutely never regretted saving up buying the best binos I could afford!

I gotta say, I wouldn't skimp on gas. However much you need to get there is exactly how much it will take...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back