Buddy bought a new rifle

220yotekiller

A good friend moved out to Wyoming from Ohio, after getting his residency he started looking at his hunting rifles, it wasn't very pretty, he had 2, 12 guage slug guns, a 45-70 and a beat up 7mm Savage that had seen way better days (when I pulled it apart the action and barrel were crusted in rust) it wore iron sights to boot. So needing a new western hunting rifle he started asking me what I thought would be ideal for mule deer and elk, I told him that for my money the 7mm Rem Mag was a good do all, but to pick up and handle as many makes and models as he could. He found me after church and told me that he had found a 6.5 PRC and a 300 RUM and which one should he buy? I told him that both were good rounds but they were on totally different ends of the spectrum. I ran into him the next week and he said that he had bought a Browning A bolt in 7mm. He mounted a Vortex Razor on it and took it out, he decided to try 150 gr Remington Cor-loks, to say he was deflated would be an understatement, the "group" was 3". I told him it was probably the ammo so we went though his collection and found some factory Federal loaded with 168 gr Berger hunters, it shot right at 5/8". He went on to shoot 4 whitetail does and a buck last year. Needless to say, he is a huge Berger fan now.

If he gets the chance, have him try some Nosler bullets too.

While i'm a Berger fan also, Noslers are my most grabbed when going hunting.
They have been bringing game home for over 35 years.

If he gets the chance, have him try some Nosler bullets too.

While i'm a Berger fan also, Noslers are my most grabbed when going hunting.
They have been bringing game home for over 35 years.
Me to, he had some factory 160 gr Partitions but they didn't shoot as well, about 1.5", my go to bullet for years has been the 130 gr Accubond in the 270 Win and the 160 gr Accubond in the 7mm.

Me to, he had some factory 160 gr Partitions but they didn't shoot as well, about 1.5", my go to bullet for years has been the 130 gr Accubond in the 270 Win and the 160 gr Accubond in the 7mm.
We don't have the truly big brown bears here in PA.
Biggest we'll get is 400-600lb black bear.
I'm shooting the ABLR in my Rem Mag & 280 Rem.
Ballistic Tips in the 280 Rem and everything else i hunt with.

I think people have a tendancy to seriously under rate the Ballistic Tip.

We don't have the truly big brown bears here in PA.
Biggest we'll get is 400-600lb black bear.
I'm shooting the ABLR in my Rem Mag & 280 Rem.
Ballistic Tips in the 280 Rem and everything else i hunt with.

I think people have a tendancy to seriously under rate the Ballistic Tip.
I have a whole pile of 150 gr ballistic tips and I have been nervous about loading them. What is your experence?

My Tikka absolutely loves the 300 WM Nosler 180s in the ballistic tip. My zero group was a 3 shot, overlapping, clover leaf. This season I took 3 shots and harvest 3 bucks (2 WT, 1 MD)........none of them took a single step. Very happy.

A good friend moved out to Wyoming from Ohio, after getting his residency he started looking at his hunting rifles, it wasn't very pretty, he had 2, 12 guage slug guns, a 45-70 and a beat up 7mm Savage that had seen way better days (when I pulled it apart the action and barrel were crusted in rust) it wore iron sights to boot. So needing a new western hunting rifle he started asking me what I thought would be ideal for mule deer and elk, I told him that for my money the 7mm Rem Mag was a good do all, but to pick up and handle as many makes and models as he could. He found me after church and told me that he had found a 6.5 PRC and a 300 RUM and which one should he buy? I told him that both were good rounds but they were on totally different ends of the spectrum. I ran into him the next week and he said that he had bought a Browning A bolt in 7mm. He mounted a Vortex Razor on it and took it out, he decided to try 150 gr Remington Cor-loks, to say he was deflated would be an understatement, the "group" was 3". I told him it was probably the ammo so we went though his collection and found some factory Federal loaded with 168 gr Berger hunters, it shot right at 5/8". He went on to shoot 4 whitetail does and a buck last year. Needless to say, he is a huge Berger fan now.
After reading the buddy's discription I'd say the poor shooting was probably the shooter! Something a lot of people might not undrstand about bullet's, they are only as good as the person pulling the trigger!

I have a whole pile of 150 gr ballistic tips and I have been nervous about loading them. What is your experence?
The older BT bullets would often shed their jackets when hitting anything tough, but the newer BT Hunting is a bit tougher and in my experience they have held together much better. The older BT still works, but I just use them at the range. The newer BT Hunting is one of my favorite bullets for deer and pronghorn.

He will get over it. mtmuley
I also shoot Berger hybrid hunters out of my 308 as they are the most accurate factory ammo that I have found for my particular gun. I have probably tried only 6 or 7 different factory rounds before I settled on these. I seen you post negative comments about the Berger’s before and was just curios as to what type of experience you have had with them on big game? I just started using them last season and have only taken 1 elk and 1 whitetail so far, but had excellent results so far.

I also shoot Berger hybrid hunters out of my 308 as they are the most accurate factory ammo that I have found for my particular gun. I have probably tried only 6 or 7 different factory rounds before I settled on these. I seen you post negative comments about the Berger’s before and was just curios as to what type of experience you have had with them on big game? I just started using them last season and have only taken 1 elk and 1 whitetail so far, but had excellent results so far.
It was 2007. 190 Bergers in my RUM. Too much meat damage. Better bullets out there that work for me. But, I will say this. The 95 grain VLD in my kids .243 was an absolutely nasty antelope killer. mtmuley

The older BT bullets would often shed their jackets when hitting anything tough, but the newer BT Hunting is a bit tougher and in my experience they have held together much better. The older BT still works, but I just use them at the range. The newer BT Hunting is one of my favorite bullets for deer and pronghorn.
I think what Nosler should have done after the disaster of early BT's is rename to bullet. I would not use eeven the new one's based solely on all the bad experiences I've read about with the origional BT's. pretty much the same with partitions. Tried them years ago and found the bullet pretty much always separated at the partition and not all that great accuracy. Tried the newer one's about 10 yrs ago in my 6.5x06 and was amazed how well they shot! But elk season opened and all I had loaded up was some 140gr Hornadys so they got the nod. One shot one elk. It's hard to argue with success.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back