Bucks for A Shooting Team

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
I promised my local high school and Lions Club that I would come back and help with a fundraiser that is earmarked for starting a trap/skeet team at the high school. Deer season is the time when there are actually people around, so they scheduled this event for the second week of November.

Littlefork-Big Falls school district is one of the few in the state without resources to have a team. I know that having a place/chance to shoot was a huge benefit to my young days. Hopefully we can get a head start on that funding with our little gathering on Saturday. I know we have a few folks from Minnesota who travel up north to deer hunt. If you are in Koochiching County, feel free to join us that evening.

Deercampflyer2 (1).jpg

Another part of this trip is my desire to expand on the importance deer camps and traditions have in hunting. No place I travel has the strong "deer camp" tradition I find in the upper Midwest states. With that tradition comes the actions I find common in rural towns, that being any kid who is interested in hunting should get to go. Folks like those in Big Falls make sure every kid who has the desire gets the opportunity. I know it is easier for that to happen in small rural places where everyone knows and trusts their neighbors.

It should be a fun trip. I suspect no antlers will be filmed and few deer seen, given the current status of the deer herds in northern Minnesota. The grouse are my primary target, along with fund raising and story telling.

Hope you folks "Up North" are having a good season. Stop in if you are nearby.

Northern Minnesota is hands down one of my favorite places on earth. Lots of those cedar swamps and vast dark timber forests are still mostly unhabitated and it's pretty easy to explore off road and find a large lake all to yourself. Glad to see you heading back and helping out, wish I could make the detour and meet you!

I promised my local high school and Lions Club that I would come back and help with a fundraiser that is earmarked for starting a trap/skeet team at the high school. Deer season is the time when there are actually people around, so they scheduled this event for the second week of November.

Littlefork-Big Falls school district is one of the few in the state without resources to have a team. I know that having a place/chance to shoot was a huge benefit to my young days. Hopefully we can get a head start on that funding with our little gathering on Saturday. I know we have a few folks from Minnesota who travel up north to deer hunt. If you are in Koochiching County, feel free to join us that evening.

View attachment 248470

Another part of this trip is my desire to expand on the importance deer camps and traditions have in hunting. No place I travel has the strong "deer camp" tradition I find in the upper Midwest states. With that tradition comes the actions I find common in rural towns, that being any kid who is interested in hunting should get to go. Folks like those in Big Falls make sure every kid who has the desire gets the opportunity. I know it is easier for that to happen in small rural places where everyone knows and trusts their neighbors.

It should be a fun trip. I suspect no antlers will be filmed and few deer seen, given the current status of the deer herds in northern Minnesota. The grouse are my primary target, along with fund raising and story telling.

Hope you folks "Up North" are having a good season. Stop in if you are nearby.
Is there gonna be an auction or anything where those of us on the forum can help donate?

This is pretty cool. Just go home from our opening weekend at deer camp. Our camp is about 90 min SW of Big Falls, so maybe the Mrs and I can run the kids over there next weekend when we are back up there.

We hung a new deer pole yesterday and the father in law was getting on us for not filling it up, so we have some work to do next week…lol.

Back