Caribou Gear

Bucket list 3 times

schmalts

7 years ago riding the Monarch Crest trail was a bucket list. I knocked it out for a third time last week. Roughly 36 miles up to around 11.5k elevation. I gotta admit it was harder that 7 years ago but it was still epic fun with great riding with a lot above timberline. I also did the 401 in Crested Butte and while shorter probably more scenic than the Monarch. Both a must for a mountain biker. 20230903_111956.jpg20230907_095735.jpg20230905_183149.jpg20230905_173423.jpg20230905_181633.jpg

Looks fun! How do you like the Canyon and which model? I looked hard at them a few years back before I went with something from a local shop

Love it. I have the Neuron Carbon fiber 8 SL. Beat the crap out of it since the covid outbreak and only had to replace the dropper seat post. Only thing on my year and model i don't care for are the brakes. I put 200mm rotors on it and it was a lot better than the 180 that it came with. Newer models have different brakes now. You can't beat the price to component level they offer most times.

Looks like a lot of fun. Even funnier sitting here in my easy chair looking at your pics.
Congrats on your adventures and the health you have to be able to do it.

7 years ago riding the Monarch Crest trail was a bucket list. I knocked it out for a third time last week. Roughly 36 miles up to around 11.5k elevation. I gotta admit it was harder that 7 years ago but it was still epic fun with great riding with a lot above timberline. I also did the 401 in Crested Butte and while shorter probably more scenic than the Monarch. Both a must for a mountain biker. View attachment 292757View attachment 292759View attachment 292760View attachment 292761View attachment 292762
That’s awesome I want to get into riding just don’t have the time to do so.

Congrats, I like The Crest. Come try The Palisade Plunge! I’d be happy to ride it with you, it’s my backyard.

I finished The Aquarius Trail in Utah last week. 190 miles was a butt kicker.

Well done. Just started cycling in addition to my running regimen. Im still in the suck phase but that ride is aspirational.

Well done. Just started cycling in addition to my running regimen. Im still in the suck phase but that ride is aspirational.
Something way cool about riding above timberline. I guess cuz it is so out of the ordinary. Living at 740 feet of elevation doesn't help when you only have 3-4 days to acclimate to that elevation. legs were saying yes but lungs and heart said "slow down boy"

7 years ago riding the Monarch Crest trail was a bucket list. I knocked it out for a third time last week. Roughly 36 miles up to around 11.5k elevation. I gotta admit it was harder that 7 years ago but it was still epic fun with great riding with a lot above timberline. I also did the 401 in Crested Butte and while shorter probably more scenic than the Monarch. Both a must for a mountain biker. View attachment 292757View attachment 292759View attachment 292760View attachment 292761View attachment 292762

I had to look that one up, looks awesome. Did you start at the pass or in Poncha Springs?

That’s awesome I want to get into riding just don’t have the time to do so.
Make the time. There is NO better hobby that will get your legs into shape for mountain hiking while not destroying your knees. Packing out an elk is almost child's play once you get biking legs. I MTB 3 days a week as long as weather provides.

No but I was told the ponds below the 401 trail had 2 bulls in them for a few days before I rode. You got a tag?

I wish! A friend was down there camping two weeks ago and saw some nice bulls, might have to apply for that unit! You never know, there's a 2.5% chance I'll draw! :ROFLMAO:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back