Buck w/ Tongue Hanging out

Runnin_Chupacabra

Been tracking a few blacktails and the last few months this one buck has had his tongue hanging out 100% of the time on each video we have of him. Assuming it's a result of some sort of injury. He is a nice 3x4 and his buddy is a 3x3.

IMG_8848.jpeg
IMG_8847.jpegIMG_8845.jpeg

I know I’ve heard deer with EHD or blue-tongue will leave their tongue hanging out.

I believe they drink excessive amounts of water when they have it too.

Hopefully you’re right, maybe just a defect.

I know I’ve heard deer with EHD or blue-tongue will leave their tongue hanging out.

I believe they drink excessive amounts of water when they have it too.

Hopefully you’re right, maybe just a defect.
I read the same thing, that deer that survive bluetongue get nerve damage that causes this. Had an old whitetail doe that lived on my place that was basically a pet, tamed her down over several years. She had the hanging tongue, looked like a real doofus. Thats why i looked it up. Cougar or wolves or something must have finally got her, she disappeared a couple years ago. Never heard of bluetongue in blacktail though.

Could be, there have indeed been instance of AHD, EHD, and bluetongue going through Calif herds. Could also be an injury though as I shot one three years back that looked about the same (also had him on my cam in advance of the season) and he appeared to have been hit by a car or ? Jawbone was broken and some teeth busted. Overall I was surprised he was in pretty decent shape given what he was going through but that winter might have been another story. Keep us posted if you connect!!

I have seen this before all on healthy deer. At least they appeared healthy. One I killed and he was fine.

Attachments

• 2CC2F5EA-D63C-4495-8EDC-F85C77994F54.jpeg
    2CC2F5EA-D63C-4495-8EDC-F85C77994F54.jpeg
    152.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 7E7750CE-C624-4EA1-8776-A6B928E5A36B.jpeg
    7E7750CE-C624-4EA1-8776-A6B928E5A36B.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 2
They are tough animals with an incredible will to live. I have seen them survive some amazingly brutal injuries.

Back