Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Browning Hells Canyon Long Range

Southern Elk

I’m looking at one in my favorite caliber, 7mm mag. Does anyone have a Hells Canyon Long Range or have you shot one? What are your thoughts?

It is very hard to be the Xbolt lineup. The LR version is not much different than its Speed line. All I see that I would like to have is the muzzle threaded for a suppresor. Otherwise I shoot LR with my speed, 400yds+, just fine. You should note that the new models have different twist rates based on the calibers.

My buddy has one. It’s awesone. He us consistently hitting 4” targets at 800 yards. Took his first elk at 200. He has a 28 Nos. I would buy one for my next gun.

It is very hard to be the Xbolt lineup. The LR version is not much different than its Speed line. All I see that I would like to have is the muzzle threaded for a suppresor. Otherwise I shoot LR with my speed, 400yds+, just fine. You should note that the new models have different twist rates based on the calibers.

I looked at a speed and a long range side by side. The main noticible difference is the heavier barrel on the long range.

I don't own one, only handled them in the store. They're nice, but that barrel is just too unwieldy for my type of hunting. I love the Xbolts

There's been a few threads on those guns lately. It's alot of gun for the money. The only problem I see with them is the triggers suck. You can get a Timney for about 150 bucks though.

I can't remember which gun magazine did a short review and video on the X-bolt Long range rifle, but they were hitting targets out to 1200 yards no problem.

I've been researching and looking as well. I must have read that article on the Browning Xbolt too. Sounds like a great gun. I was just in the store yesterday fondling guns. I looked at the Kimber, Bergara, Browning Xbolt and Christensen Arms. Just based on look and feel the Christensen won.

i bought a very lightly used 26 Nosler in the Hells Canyon for an absolutely unbeatable price. Awesome looking gun, but haven't shot it yet. Just putting it together with a scope mount plate and scope.

When I was in the same predicament... as in handling Christensen, etc... I ended up buying the regular LR stalker.

Its in 7mm, and it shoots pretty much whatever you put in it good. Sure, it has loads it likes more than others, but even garbage cheapo factory stuff shoots under 1.5.

One thing you'll note with the Browning xbolts vs. tikka/savage/etc. is the twist rates. A lot of the newer models they're doing the twist rates correctly. My 7mm is 1-8, so it'll stabilize the 180/195. The mag length is great as well, I'm able to get the 180s on the lands if I wanted to.

For whatever its worth, I have a couple of x-bolt in the Stalker line. One in 223 with with a heavy barrel. It shoots .5 to .75 with factory Hornady ammo and better with premium and reloads. The other x-bolt is one of the Stalker Long Range limited production (Gun show special) models in 6.5. This rifle has a heavier 26" barrel with brake. My last 5 rounds on the barrel break-in at 100 yards produced a group at sub 1/2" with Remington green box. I generally reload and see significant accuracy improvement with this. Both are wonderfully accurate rifles that exceeded my expectations for an out of the box rifle.

I too am thinking about a 7mm RM. It will be an x-bolt, just not sure which series: Hells Canyon or Pro. Have not pulled the trigger yet given the price of the pro.

Good hunting and best to all.

R

Twist rates were changed for 2018. 7mm and 300wm went to 1 in 8". I just bought a long range stalker. Shot a box of hornady precision hunter to break it in. Shot 3/4 moa right off the bat. Almost makes me not want to reload for it. Also shot a buddies speed in 7rm, shoots good also

Fatherinlaw has one in 6.5 creedmor. Its a nice gun but the barrel is way too long.

GoHunt did a very extensive two part video series on this rifle that is really interesting. Secondly, I don't know why people keep saying that the trigger sucks on these x-bolts. They must not be actually handling them or they're really referring to the AB3 model cause the trigger on my hell's canyon long range is AWESOME! I would not hesitate to buy one! I literally have no complaints about the rifle.

GoHunt did a very extensive two part video series on this rifle that is really interesting. Secondly, I don't know why people keep saying that the trigger sucks on these x-bolts. They must not be actually handling them or they're really referring to the AB3 model cause the trigger on my hell's canyon long range is AWESOME! I would not hesitate to buy one! I literally have no complaints about the rifle.

I think when people say the triggers suck they're not referring to the traditional "sucky" trigger - overtravel/creep/etc... they dislike them because they won't go down low enough. I had the same issue with mine, it wouldn't go below 3 pounds. A new spring from MCARBO fixed that.

Some folks say that because of the number of parts in the trigger which contributes to their reputation of being prone to getting fouled up in bad weather.

I've got the long range in 26 Nosler. It's a real shooter. A very fun rifle to shoot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaileyB
Back