Browning Hells Canyon Long Range

Festus, if you don't mind me asking do you use the 26 Nosler for hunting deer? Antelope? Elk? What powder load and bullet do you shoot?

I got it for antelope and deer and also shoot a lot of steel at long distances. I've not had it long and haven't spent much time with it yet. I worked with US 869 and Viht 20N29 with some 140gr AB's, ELD-X's, and VLD's but couldn't get tighter than 1-1/2" @ 100 yrds. After realizing I had a scope issue the whole time and running short on time for my lope hunt, I ended up going with RL33 behind 130gr Scirocco II's (this is what I had loaded at time of scope switch). This shoots extremely well, but with more pressure than I like.
I will be giving the 140's another go around this winter.

What kind of scope do you have on it? I'm just putting mine together and haven't gotten anything for it yet. I will be purchasing a ken Farrell scope base (10MOA) and was looking at the Talley 30mm LOW rings. I'm still flipping between a Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x40 or a Vortex HS LR 4-16x44 scope. I will be strictly hunting with this setup and hoping to shoot 140grain partition or AB bullets, probably with the Norma 217 powder, so my pressure is not as high

I got it for antelope and deer and also shoot a lot of steel at long distances. I've not had it long and haven't spent much time with it yet. I worked with US 869 and Viht 20N29 with some 140gr AB's, ELD-X's, and VLD's but couldn't get tighter than 1-1/2" @ 100 yrds. After realizing I had a scope issue the whole time and running short on time for my lope hunt, I ended up going with RL33 behind 130gr Scirocco II's (this is what I had loaded at time of scope switch). This shoots extremely well, but with more pressure than I like.
I will be giving the 140's another go around this winter.

Purchase has been made. 160 grain accubonds are on the way.

Any recommendations on a scope for it?

In orders of increasing budget:
SWFA 3-9x40
Nightforce SHV
Nightforce NSX
S&B take your pick

If I bought a rifle with long range in it’s titled I’d plan on being able to use it as such, thus I recommended scopes with a great reputation for tracking when using the turrets.

Last edited:
+1 on the SWFA. I would personally go a little higher in magnification than 3-9 but that's just me. If you've got the money, why not NF though.

Just won a Browning X Bolt HC and have to decide caliber to have ordered. I was leaning toward .300 WM others suggested 6.5 or 7MM. Plan to use primarily for elk. Thoughts? Is muzzle break recoil reduction as good as reviews say?

Just won a Browning X Bolt HC and have to decide caliber to have ordered. I was leaning toward .300 WM others suggested 6.5 or 7MM. Plan to use primarily for elk. Thoughts? Is muzzle break recoil reduction as good as reviews say?

The muzzlebreak takes about 1/3 of the recoil, IMO. However, I don't hunt with it on as I don't like trying to cover the ports with tape to keep snow and rain out. When I'm hunting I don't feel recoil anyway. Mine is in 300WM and an incredible gun. It is already soft because of the recoil pad, add the break and a scope and it'll tame down nicely.

Where did you win it from? You may want to check on caliber availability. Last I knew 300WM was tough to get, so that may influence your choice.

I have the 7mm Rem Mag. The recoil is on par with a .308 at tops. The muzzle blast is definitely noticeable, but worth the recoil reduction in my opinion. A sandwich bag taped over the end of the barrel eliminates any water, snow, dirt, etc. from getting in the barrel, so that's not a concern. Definitely don't get the 6.5 for elk. Just not ideal. Between the .300 and 7mm it's not night and day, but obviously I went with the 7mm due to the fact that it's better in every aspect except that it doesn't make as big of a hole.

Cartridge arguments are a stupid waste of time. But, I guess since you already know the 7mm is " better in every aspect", you may as well enlighten us. mtmuley

https://www.facebook.com/browningoutdoors/photos/a.129023198571/10158001868538572/?type=3&theater Saw this on another site. Rumor has it a .300 RUM with an 8 twist will be coming. Might even make me like a Browning. mtmuley

This news just might convince me to buy a new rifle. I almost have myself talked into the Rem AWR in 300RUM (big boomsticks with copper bullets intrigue me lately) since Cabela's is running them on sale. I'm not a long range hunter just like burning tons of powder

Last edited:
Cartridge arguments are a stupid waste of time. But, I guess since you already know the 7mm is " better in every aspect", you may as well enlighten us. mtmuley

I'm not into arguing either. Like I said, in what categories is the .300 better than the 7mm RM? Convince Sdhunters who originally asked the question. By the way, I did have an "except" in there, which happens to be an important category.

This news just might convince me to buy a new rifle. I almost have myself talked into the Rem AWR in 300RUM (big boomsticks with copper bullets intrigue me lately) since Cabela's is running them on sale. I'm not a long range hunter just like burning tons of powder

I'd go with the AWR. I just prefer Remingtons, and the 5r barrel rifles are proving to be shooters. The 8 twist would be a plus though. I've used bullets up to 210 grains in my 10 without issue. Hammer makes heavy monos that would take an 8 twist. A 199 or 214 grain mono out of a RUM would be nasty. mtmuley

I own the very rifle you speak of & really like it. The only down side I've noticed so far is that it's VERY loud with the muzzle break on, other wise no complaints

Thank you all for your feedback and opinions. Much appreciated! I am split on .300/7mm. Think either would be a good choice. PS Won gun thru volunteer FD fundraiser.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back