Yeti GOBOX Collection

Broke trailer

ibehuntin

Didn’t know where to park this so I thought this category would do. I had to cut my season short in CO because of a set of broken springs on my 48 yr old camp trailer. Heading up a dirt road in unit 80 out of Saguache’ and crump! WTH? Get out and she’s leaning hard to the right. Throw down a tarp and take a look; uh oh. Got out the jack lifted her up and jammed a cut and trimmed log between the plate and the frame. Held up ok but 5-10mph was it. Got to the cg and focused on hunting for a couple days. Day 3 I decide to bail out to get it fixed. Head south and it all fall apart and I had to redo it 4x’s before something would take. No help anywhere for this from Monte Vista to Albuquerque. NM is like a ghost state with Covid; oh you have to make an appt. Dude I’m broken and need help now! Oh sorry; be safe ok. Ya thanks for nuthin. Decide to limp on back home and it all comes apart again in the middle of nowhere NM but at least I was in a rest stop. Jacked her up again and figure I need to compress the shackles and throw more lumber up in there to get it to work. But how? Truckers got those heavy duty tie downs so I went begging. First guy wouldn’t help at all. Second guy pulling a Wally cargo box didn’t have any so ok gracias amigo. Head back to trailer and he walks towards me carrying a ratcheting tiedown strap. God bless him 🙏. Got it leveled out and strapped and compressed. A bit wonky on the tracking but I was able to cruise 60-65 for 300 miles to home. I’ll be keeping that strap in my truck now for the next time someone needs one. Getting this fixed is a problem because they no longer make the same length springs. Got to weld two new fixed points on to accommodate the new 1-3/4” shorter springs. Ah the joys of owning an antique. 🤨

D6FEAB07-9ECB-431D-804D-73FCB7BB9E29.jpeg750AFB87-DC31-442D-B3BA-C937163BC1DF.jpeg

Wow that’s shitty. I will say you came up with a pretty good McGuyver to make it back though haha

That really sucks. There is a place not far from where I Occasionally work that makes leaf springs. Pretty sure they can make them for anything in any size. Maybe look for a spring shop that primarily works on big rigs and heavy haul stuff or start looking for some rv graveyards.

I was actually going to just tell you congratulations for having an axel that lasted that long. lol

We've broken 3 different boat trailer leaf springs in the past decade...
when replacing consider installing a beefier axle with leaf springs rated for the beefier axle.
That solved the problem with our boat trailers (roads pretty rough up here in Alaska).

Love seeing these diy fixes. Burned up wheel bearings on my ATV trailer and had to do a roadside axle replacement-along with the help of others. Any quick fixes here?

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back