Broadening scope on banning rifles

Well no not quite, YOUR gun would just be additionally taxed and any new ones would be banned, at least per

Well no not quite, YOUR gun would just be additionally taxed and any new ones would be banned, at least per that article.
Agreed, I was just pointing out that ANY rifle, larger than .22, that takes a magazine could be banned. BS in my opinion.

Agreed, I was just pointing out that ANY rifle, larger than .22, that takes a magazine could be banned. BS in my opinion.
100% total bs. I will say WA declared all semi autos as assault weapons a few years ago, and I haven't noticed a difference as a gun owner. Maybe it is laying the groundwork for future legislation, or maybe it was just passed "something" that the left thought was important, but in reality doesn't do anything. IDK. I guess TBD at this point here in WA.

I remember when there was a very long thread about this just being Biden pandering toward the left wing, and it would never happen. We'll see I guess.

"Chipman said he supports Congress acting to ban all "assault weapons" and AR-15s."

"The AR-15 is a gun I was issued on the ATF’s SWAT team, and it’s a particularly lethal weapon. Regulating it as other particularly lethal weapons, I have advocated for. As ATF director, if I’m confirmed, I would simply enforce the laws on the books, and right now there is no such ban on those guns."

As I recall the crux of that argument was that it's unlikely to make it through the senate. Sounds like this guy acknowledges such regulation would require congressional action and isn't going to make a unitary executive argument.

As I recall the crux of that argument was that it's unlikely to make it through the senate. Sounds like this guy acknowledges such regulation would require congressional action and isn't going to make a unitary executive argument.
I'm not so sure about that. I think it's fairly similar to public land management under the last administration, if the boss says jump, you jump. He's just trying to get appointed right now.

I'm not so sure about that. I think it's fairly similar to public land management under the last administration, if the boss says jump, you jump. He's just trying to get appointed right now.

Then why does it matter what he says or who he is? If that's the case he could say nothing and we could infer from the presidential campaign that he and Biden are coming for every AR in America just based off Chipman's silence.

Then why does it matter what he says or who he is? If that's the case he could say nothing and we could infer from the presidential campaign that he and Biden are coming for every AR in America just based off Chipman's silence.
It doesn't matter. It's the same thing that happened with DOI 4 years ago. The appointee will say the politically correct thing, then once approved, will do the Master's bidding.

"Chipman said he supports Congress acting to ban all "assault weapons" and AR-15s."

"The AR-15 is a gun I was issued on the ATF’s SWAT team, and it’s a particularly lethal weapon. Regulating it as other particularly lethal weapons, I have advocated for. As ATF director, if I’m confirmed, I would simply enforce the laws on the books, and right now there is no such ban on those guns."

Lol, particularly lethal weapon.

I’m sure he was also outfitted with a Beretta or Glock, better ban those too. Pistols kill more people than AR15s so they’re even more particularly deadly.

Well shit, fists kill more people in the U.S. than AR15s - better ban those as well. Same with knives.

If an all out ban won’t get passed, there will be a “regulation update” that moves scary black guns and other semi-auto rifles/pistols into the NFA realm just like the new proposal that makes a pistol with a brace an SBR, subject to additional taxes, paperwork, and months of waiting. Or the other proposal relating to receivers, and regulating homemade firearms.

I’ll be shocked if the 9th circuit doesn’t reverse that decision.
I’d be shocked if it doesn’t end up in the Supreme Court.

It doesn't matter. It's the same thing that happened with DOI 4 years ago. The appointee will say the politically correct thing, then once approved, will do the Master's bidding.
I googled Chipman seems he was a ATF agent for 25 years. Seems like a reasonable appointment, I’d say as reasonable as Secretary Bernhardt.

Now there are a whole list of Trump nominees who basically said pre-appointment that they didn’t think the agency they went on to head should exist, that’s not the comparison you made but I think a fair point to make if we are comparing administrations.

At the end of the day Chipman seems like a law enforcement officer who is going to work hard to enforce laws… I’d personally have more of an issue if he was making comments that lead me to belief he wasn’t going to enforce laws.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back