Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Breaks Sheep

hearteater

I was fortunate enough to draw a breaks ewe tag. I am thinking about hunting the last couple weeks of the season. I am not at all familiar with the area this time of year as I have only been there in September. Am I moron to wait until this late to go? I know all about the gumbo earlier in the year but how much of an issue is snow/precipitation this time of year?

The breaks in November can be miserable. Last year there was 3-6 inches of hard crust snow, that would melt some during the day, every day. You'd walk in on frozen ground every morning, and then by 10-12 you'd be 4-5 miles from the truck with gumbo balls the size of basketballs where your feet used to be. Not to mention the random storm that come through and drops a foot of snow and can put the temperatures down to -20°. I'd personally be over there in September.

If it were me I would hit it during the rut to watch the action while there with the big rams. Shame its not a ram tag Id love to do the ewe but can't seem to burn the points for an ewe tag kinda stinks.

Unfortunately, my work schedule doesn't allow me to go in October otherwise that is when I would probably go. The main reason I am hesitant to go in September is last year when I was there the mosquitoes were so thick. Also if it's hot do the sheep stay bedded majority of the day?

Thanks for the advice guys I really appreciate it. For anyone who has hunted sheep there, do you find it more effective to glass the coulees from the top or the bottom? What kind of locations do the sheep bed in?

I've hunted sheep in 482 and 680. I have a ewe tag again this year and drew the ram tag last year. Late September can't be beat. What area did you draw? The mosquitos usually take a dive by the last week of September - the floating is crazy easy, the river is quite, fishing off the charts. Ewes are often right on the river. I could give you some specific pointers if I knew the district you have drawn.

I hunted 680 for a ewe 3 years ago. I went in early November. It was a 4 hour hunt that was a lot of fun but not very hard. Great eating critter though.

Hearteater, I see most sheep on the North side, but ...if I were you, I'd go to the Fred Robinson Bridge and drive up the Missouri, just take the big roads (There aren't many) and drive 'em. Lower Twocalf, Woodhawk, - they all have ewes. If you want, FWP has maps of the general locations of ewe groups. You would get your sheep. Also, call the guys at the Stafford Ferry, they'll tell you right where they see them on their drive in from Winnefred. Now, for the best hunt of your life, get a river outfitter to do you a rig shuttle. Put a boat (canoe or raft) in at the Ferry. Have your vehicle left down at Woodhawk. Go late September. Unless there has been a bunch of rain, the bugs will be dried up and gone. Watch any big flats with tall sage. Camp on 'em. The ewes will show up Watch the Booner rams, fish, glass from the North side across to your area on the South side. Just watch the forecast. If it rains, your truck will be sitting at Woodhawk until it dries up. Under no circumstances do you even want to pretend to drive Breaks roads when they are wet.. You can also use a motorized boat, but not at all times. I don't remember when they are allowed, but I've both floated and motored - prefer the float. You can get a boat in at the Ferry if it is smaller. A twenty horse and a spare prop are decent and jets are Cadillac. There is no ramp, but you can get it done on the North side at the Ferry. Have fun! I'll be hunting 680 upstream of you. Wait, maybe we'll be on the same stretch. Judith Landing down - a twelve miler on a four to six mile per hour river. Gorgeous! Here's something to know. A sheep standing in the river is considered fair game for both North and South tag holders. If it's standing in two inches of water it two feet from the bank, it is considered both a 680 snf 482 sheep.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back