Breaks hunters be prepared

That is just normal everyday mud down here in Louisiana. Of course we don't have to deal with it on steep grades...
Not sure if it's quite the same. Breaks mud is a combo of peanut butter and bubble gum with the worst properties of each in the forefront. It's hard to describe unless you've seen it. There isn't a tire or boot known to man that works in the stuff.mtmuley

Not sure if it's quite the same. Breaks mud is a combo of peanut butter and bubble gum with the worst properties of each in the forefront. It's hard to describe unless you've seen it. There isn't a tire or boot known to man that works in the stuff.mtmuley

I'm thinking crisco and honey.

I was up there yesterday morning. Did a 5-1/2 mile hike, somehow stayed out of the mud w/ my boots BUT was soaked to the core. Main road was a mess, can't imagine what a side road would've been like. Left after the hunt and figured I'd come back when it dried out a bit. I think I'm the only one in the state that doesn't have a side-by-side.

I'm thinking crisco and honey.
The greatest thing about Breaks mud, is if it rains just a little, say enough to wet 1/4 to 1/2 inch of it, you will gain that with every tire revolution or step you take. It will fall off of your boots eventually, usually one at a time making you stumble. Tires, not so much. I thought I cold conquer the suff on my first trip out. I was humbled. mtmuley

Do chains do anything productive in it?
To a point. I had to chain last year when there was about 3/4 of an inch that was wet. Guys that are familiar will know a steep spot up out of Killwoman. I wouldn't have made it without the chains. In deeper mud, it just covers the chains up. mtmuley

I was up there yesterday morning. Did a 5-1/2 mile hike, somehow stayed out of the mud w/ my boots BUT was soaked to the core. Main road was a mess, can't imagine what a side road would've been like. Left after the hunt and figured I'd come back when it dried out a bit. I think I'm the only one in the state that doesn't have a side-by-side.

Were you on the north or south side of the river? Was there a lot of traffic? Main road a mess as in the brilliant people hunting tore it to shit?

The greatest thing about Breaks mud, is if it rains just a little, say enough to wet 1/4 to 1/2 inch of it, you will gain that with every tire revolution or step you take. It will fall off of your boots eventually, usually one at a time making you stumble. Tires, not so much. I thought I cold conquer the suff on my first trip out. I was humbled. mtmuley

Yepper, I grew up with that stuff.

You may be right, I've never been in that country. We do have gumbo mud here though and from the pics and the description they seem to have a lot of similarities.

Were you on the north or south side of the river? Was there a lot of traffic? Main road a mess as in the brilliant people hunting tore it to shit?

I was South. Wasn't too crazy with people. Main road was really soaked and the sides were soft. Luckily slow and easy on the main road kept me in the middle and I didn't have to make room for any other vehicles.

I keep hearing from local friends down in Dillon area, there are more hunters then ever before... Stands out far in excess... Didn't comment on the road conditions, back hill roads, etc...

Welcome to the world of hunting, I guess... Makes me think there is some righteous intent behind archery OR rifle hunt - not both... ? Meh...

Yea I sure it will be packed. Doesn't help with all the tags the give out.

the tag numbers are insane, Not sure what they are trying to accomplish giving out that many tags. Just another hunt to stack off the list this point. It a shame because I love the country.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back