Breaks hunters be prepared

I'm surprised I didn't draw! My good friend did. I've never hunted up there. So we're excited to see some new country. Even if its packed should still be a good time.

If anyone runs into this guy he was miles down a game retrieval road open only 10-2 at 5:30.

Attachments

• IMG_1089.jpg
    IMG_1089.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 169
  • IMG_1094.jpg
    IMG_1094.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 165
If FWP managed the Breaks for quality, there would be nowhere that would rival it for elk hunting. mtmuley
It used to be that way, the Breaks were world class. Now everyone is more worried about getting their tag than they are having a quality hunt or hunting big bulls.

Anybody heard about the condition of Hell Creek road after the weather? Curious how the big dollar improvement project held up.

I keep hearing from local friends down in Dillon area, there are more hunters then ever before... Stands out far in excess... Didn't comment on the road conditions, back hill roads, etc...

Welcome to the world of hunting, I guess... Makes me think there is some righteous intent behind archery OR rifle hunt - not both... ? Meh...

Busy doesn't describe it. Places that in the past that had some hunters but I could find a spot, now had multiple huge camps with people driving ATVs all over the place. I basically had a ridge to myself with a hunter on the ridge to my left, and a hunter to the ridge on the right. It wouldn't surprise anyone that the bulls were quiet. I saw one work some cows, but he was smart enough not to make any noise. I might have tried to make a play on him but it was going to be 92 that day (so yeah, hot). If an elk got shot anywhere on Crooked Creek or Alex Camp last weekend, it was simply at the wrong place at the wrong time.

If anyone runs into this guy he was miles down a game retrieval road open only 10-2 at 5:30.

Isn't that Randy's new side x side? I heard they were filming out there this week..... 😁

I personally want to see more efff'd up photos of trucks and ATVs, come 'on people post em up I need some entertainment!

Hunting pressure appears to be up in a year that FWP accidentally over-issued elk tags? Shocking.

Depends. Sounds like most of the islands this year are submerged that most the elk congregate on.

Maybe I'm talking out my ass. This article claims they only sold the amount of surplus licenses they had available- https://www.gohunt.com/read/news/mo...es-problems-for-hopeful-elk-hunters#gs.4g346p

I called FWP this morning, and they mentioned they are going to run this process starting from the hunter who tried to purchase the first licenses at the 5 a.m. starting time and will go down the list until they hit the 393 surplus elk tags that were available. They discussed that the purchase time/error codes all have timestamps, and so that information will be used to figure out the order of who to call in order to offer up a license.

But if that's the case, then why did they pull back the offer for turned back elk and big game combos?

This is a non issue - there’s no alternates list for elk combo or big game combo cuz they over sold - so could end up working out that there’s few more tags than normal or could be few less than normal depending on how many get returned

Based on how many deer combos have become available via alternates list (around 700) I’d say that half or more of those came from returned big game combos

Spent the last 20 days out there, was amazing up until the season opener haha

Poured the night of opener, however we had a boat and the rain was the best thing ever as we didn’t see another hunter until the 20th. We were the few of the morons trudging thru the mud.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back