Breaks Deer

Hammsolo

Coming home to hunt for the first time. Didn’t draw a unit 700 elk. The plan is to put in each year with my brothers until we draw and explore the area while hunting deer when we don’t draw. Any advice? I’ve never been out there, but am willing to work hard. Heading out in June to explore.

Boots on the ground! The best advice out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Summer can be hot, so take water. Most of the elk are “near” the river in the timber, deer can by anywhere. There will probably be lots of cattle too. Go for a hike or two and then post after. Once you get a sense of the scale of the project you have embarked on you will have more specific questions. Enjoy.

Summer can be hot, so take water. Most of the elk are “near” the river in the timber, deer can by anywhere. There will probably be lots of cattle too. Go for a hike or two and then post after. Once you get a sense of the scale of the project you have embarked on you will have more specific questions. Enjoy.

Thanks for the tips.

Depending where you go in the breaks, bring a can of gas and a spare tire.
The breaks can also be very deceiving as far as topography, with lots of hiding places for deer and other critters. Plenty of drainages and gullies you may have to cross and they are very steep. Guess that's why the call it "the breaks". View attachment 140599

excuse to further outfit the ZR2!!

Snakes are just out there trying to make a living. They even give you a warning so they don't have to bother you. And people can't help but kill them for no reason.

I hear yah. They’re a necessary part of the ecosystem. I don’t kill something unless I’m going to eat it. Coyote back straps on the Traeger! Cook thoroughly.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back