Bozeman September Trip (non-hunting/vacation)

How was it? Worth the adventure?
I took @Greenhorn s advice and got the Lombardo. That’s what I would’ve gotten without the recommendation, I think - arugalo and prosciutto is often a go to for me. I didn’t add the other things he advised.

In the world of Bozeman wood-fired pizzas, it’s a game of inches. This place may have been a little better than Nordic or Blackstone (or Blackfire - whichever is the one with pizzas), but in the great world of not-Montana (and a lot of other places, to be fair) Neapolitan-style pizzas this wasn’t much closer to the real deal.

The house salad was inferior to Bridger’s salad (which is super, as is Bridger’s Caesar).

On the binary scale of tastiness, with 0 being not tasty and 1 being tasty, Pizza Campania was a solid 1. Next time I go, tho, I’ll probably try some of the other Italian things they offer.

Edit to add: They had Peroni on tap! High marks here.

Last edited:
Bozeman does have a broad array of dining. You have been schooled on more food and activities than you could possibly sample in just a few days.

I have lived here all my life and witnessed all the changes, some good, some not, but Bozeman for what it has become, does still offer much in opportunity for a great visit.

Cafe Zydeco has been mentioned, but I will endorse it whole heartedly. For Cajun food, you won’t find any better.

What hasn’t been mentioned is Montana Rib And Chop House. When you think of Montana and the beef industry, you can’t avoid a good steak and the Rib And Chop House is the best steak you will get within 100 miles. That is no small claim.

Montana is at it’s absolute best in September and October, you have chosen a great time to visit. Yellowstone doesn’t sound like a priority, but a trip could be worthwhile, as you won’t find such diverse geographical wonders in such a small place. People drive horribly and won’t move if a buffalo stands on the road and that can literally stop traffic for hours.

Choose wisely, time will run out before opportunity...

Amazingly, I was able to book flights into Billings, MT cheaper than Bozeman on Sept 6th and was able to pick up a hotel room cheap by only being there Monday to Friday. We get in at 1 PM and don't leave until 4PM so I actually will get those days to use for "touristy" things. We are excited about coming that way and are doing the MT Rain Dance everyday hoping for some relief to the mountain west.

Thank you to everyone who gave us things to do, my wife is now making her "wishlist" and is training for a hike or two if we have time in her schedule.

If you’re gonna spend any considerable time near billings, make the 2-3 hour drive to Slippery Anne and show her the bugling elk… lol

If this wasn't my wifes 40th BD and our 10th Anniversary, we would be hunting, not vacationing. Next year, we plan on being in Montana a lot more for hunting season since we will both have 3 PP for the General Elk/Deer draw.

If this wasn't my wifes 40th BD and our 10th Anniversary, we would be hunting, not vacationing. Next year, we plan on being in Montana a lot more for hunting season since we will both have 3 PP for the General Elk/Deer draw.
Good luck on the draw, and enjoy your trip. Happy anniversary! Ours is the 16th this month! Tis the season lol 🥂

If you are into backpack hunting Stone Glacier and Mystery Ranch are both in Bozeman. I haven’t been in Mystery Ranch but I know Stone Glacier has a really cool showroom and the folks in their are very helpful. Schnees is cool. I usually go there. Haven’t been to the other boot stores. Hope you enjoy your trip.

If you’re into bighorn sheep, a stop at the Kenetrek store in Bozeman is worth your time. It’s off the beaten path out near Four Corners, but one of the best collections of sheep you’ll ever see. Almost all of them taken by two guys I believe.

What hasn’t been mentioned is Montana Rib And Chop House. When you think of Montana and the beef industry, you can’t avoid a good steak and the Rib And Chop House is the best steak you will get within 100 miles. That is no small claim.
I couldn't agree more, it's my last place to eat before I leave Montana for home, I have done it every time I have visited from the UK.
I am always torn between the ribs, full rack or course, and a fillet steak.
It's worth the trip into Livingston.
The fly fishing museum is worth a visit as well.

Haven't read through the thread yet so I don't know what's been suggested.

So much changing in Bozeman in the last few years its hard to keep up. New restaurants all the time popping up. I guess we have a karaoke bar now. And an expensive French restaurant.

Open Range is good food. Map and mountains walking are the breweries to hit up with the best stuff. And MAP has the best view you'll ever have at a taproom. After that is Outlaw. Copper is a good adult bar. Drinks too pricey for college kids.

Lots of good hiking around Bozeman. Getting more crowded. Pick up Day Hikes around Bozeman to see all of them.

If you need a fishing guide I would suggest MT Troutfitters.

Haven't read through the thread yet so I don't know what's been suggested.

So much changing in Bozeman in the last few years its hard to keep up. New restaurants all the time popping up. I guess we have a karaoke bar now. And an expensive French restaurant.

Open Range is good food. Map and mountains walking are the breweries to hit up with the best stuff. And MAP has the best view you'll ever have at a taproom. After that is Outlaw. Copper is a good adult bar. Drinks too pricey for college kids.

Lots of good hiking around Bozeman. Getting more crowded. Pick up Day Hikes around Bozeman to see all of them.

If you need a fishing guide I would suggest MT Troutfitters.
Thank you for the advice. I will look into some of these as you have some new suggestions.

Nice, Ill have to try pizza campania. I might be over there 4 or 5 times per year so I usually just just go with what I know.

Edit: I think I am going to try it tomorrow. Will be driving thru late afternoon/early evening after a 15 miler Ive planned in the Gallatin Valley tomorrow morning. Now I am double que excite! New lake, new pizza to try - which will be better!??!111?!?!
and Sitka is right next to pizza campania

Map is bro-ville.
Outlaw is much less pretentious....seeing you are from Tennessee. ;)
Land of Magic is not in Manhattan...little further down the road in Logan. But Sir Scott's in Manhattan is virtually the best when it comes to meat...its old Montana, not the fluff like Bozeman eateries.
Maybe you want fluff,dunno.
Au contrair.

MAP is not broville. It's just chill. And better beer. This coming from a "beer snob" that hates the word beer snob.lol I see all sorts there and me and my friends are not bros by a long shot. And Dash is no "bro". I Like Outlaw, but it's much more "look at me" than MAP.
And Land of Magic and the Oasis are good but I wouldn't go as far as to say they're better than Open Range. All 3 worth going to, but I feel open Range has the best consistency. I've had eh meals at Logan and Manhattan.

If you are into backpack hunting Stone Glacier and Mystery Ranch are both in Bozeman. I haven’t been in Mystery Ranch but I know Stone Glacier has a really cool showroom and the folks in their are very helpful. Schnees is cool. I usually go there. Haven’t been to the other boot stores. Hope you enjoy your trip.
Mystery ranch got rid of their show room. They used to have one when they moved I to that building.

I couldn't agree more, it's my last place to eat before I leave Montana for home, I have done it every time I have visited from the UK.
I am always torn between the ribs, full rack or course, and a fillet steak.
It's worth the trip into Livingston.
The fly fishing museum is worth a visit as well.
There's a rib and chop in bozeman now out by Costco. Opened in the last year. And have you tried Open Range? Everyone's tastes are different. So just throwing it out if you haven't yet.

Sorry fellas, I just realized I posted a few posts that may seem I'm in the mood to argue. Just a little friendly banter amongst friends.
But these are my fighting words.

T1. MAP and Mountains Walking

T3. Outlaw, Katabatic(in Livingston), Beehive basin(in Big Sky), and Bozeman Brewing
7. Bridger

8.Madison River(In Belgrade)

T9. Neptune(in Livingston there is a sushi restaurant and a brewery. Brewery owned by ex husband, restaurant owned by ex wife......), Lone Peak(in Big Sky) and Bar3(Belgrade and a BBQ joint. The owner is a good dude)

12. Polar(is it Polar or Nordic?? Are they a brewery or a cocktail lounge? Do they know?)

Didn't make the list. Bunkhouse-so many bad experiences here and the beer is sub par. I hold a grudge. Lol

Honorable mentions(not breweries but great selection of beer or they are other types of booze):
-Shine-taproom with best selection of beers(Travis(the owner) is a good dude. Big dude with a beard if you go.) And you can dine on the long time Bozeman staple, LA Pa(LA Parilla) Staff is trained on all the beers.
-Aleworks(a 20ish year staple that reinvented themselves from a pool hall to a solid food and beer spot with good variety)
-Hop Lounge-new. One of the owners used to be a rep for Flathead Brewing and knows a lot of people around the state. Gets some cool beers you won't find in a taproom because he goes and gets them himself.
-Bozeman Taproom(has a cool balcony when the weather is nice, though Shine has a balcony too.
-Lockhorn-cider house. Good cider and they have a cheese board. Good guys
-Dean's Zesty Booch-kombucha brewery. Some is non-alcoholic. Some has alcohol. Chill vibe. Good guys
-Bozeman distillery/Wildrye distillery/Dry Hills distillery. The distilleries in the Bozeman. You can add Whistling Andy in Ennis. I would rank Dry Hills the best taproom. Toss up on the spirits but it's not my deal.
-Plonk-wine bar
-Valhalla Meadery- mead. Kind of forgotten about place. On the way to Bridger Bowl right before you leave town.
-Lehrkinds-beer made in Bozeman but no taproom. You'll find it in most retail locations as it's made by the Coke/Coors distributor.

All I can say is, "Y'all do a lot of drinking up in them there parts."

Wow, that's a lot of bars. I live in a tourist town (Great Smoky Mountains National Park) - Gatlingburg, TN and we don't have that many. Big thing we have are a few Honky Tonks like Blake Shelton's Ol' Red and Jimmy Buffet's Margueritaville.

Sounds a lot like the downtown Nashville, TN: Broadway area near the Ryhman Auditorium/Grand Ol' Opry.

We are very excited to be on our way soon, and I might make a separate thread with pictures of all the great times since not everyone gets to visit in their lifetime.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back